BTE, hugelkulture, hydroponics and other unconventional gardening

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Saltpeter soak x 4 hours, for 2 varieties of eggplant, mini-bell peppers, NZ spinach, Ailsa Craig onions (new seed), bunching onions (old seed), (old) parsley, 5 remaining hibiscus seeds last night. They have been rinsed, and are now on stove hearth in damp paper towel. I hope to get them into pots before any signs of germination. If this treatment results in improved germination, I'll also play with other difficult or old seeds in my stash and see what comes up.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Checked the SP soaked seeds last night. And a few of the onions, both the new and the 4 year old seed had already sprouted (JUST OVER 24 HOURS!). The Hibiscus is sprouted this morning. (appears to be 100%, where the previous seeds planted were only 60%, and took forever to sprout. At >50 cents/seed, that's a huge improvement.)

The pepper seeds that were sowed normally are slowly sending up new seedlings. I sowed them 18 days ago.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While the hibiscus appeared to have sprouted before I planted it, only 2 of the 5 SP treated seeds have put in an appearance with sprouted seedlings.

The eggplant is slowly sprouting. A bit slower this time b/c I did not have good option to give them the 90* sprouting temp that they crave.

Last night, I potted up my cucumber seedlings. These are bush, supposedly bred to grow well in pots. I have 5 of them started in 4 - 6" pots, and I put the smallest one in a Kratky hydroponic jar. This morning, I set up an other jar, and will tuck a couple zucchini seeds in it. Wouldn't it be sweet if I had cukes and zucs by early May???? Of course, my main crop cukes will not be planted until MUCH later.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would die if I lived in your zone! If temp gets above 70, I simply wilt! Most folks here in zone 4B don't plant their gardens until after Memorial day. That's the tradition. I'm a bit of a rebel. If there's a way to push the season, I'm gonna do it!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is it amusing or frustrating? Peppers planted 2/8. Most of them sprouted in their usual slow fashion. But, there was a late start that popped up 2 days ago.... more than 4 weeks after being planted!

THIS is why I start my peppers much earlier than recommended!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Correction: The mixed Mini Bells were started 2/25. Initial sprouting 3/12. They should be fun.

I started soaking some Sugar Snap seed this morning. I'll wait until they are JUST sprouted, then sow them at the back of each of the GH beds. If they produce, it will be enough for early snacking to go with the early greens that have yet to be sowed in the GH.

I'm planning to use the space in the green house a bit differently this year. There are only 2 beds that are about 28" x 8'. So, I hope to plant a couple of potatoes, a couple bush cukes, a zucchini, the usual greens, some cilantro, and some small variety tomatoes. This will give me some nice variety for meals while I'm waiting for the garden to come into production. There is enough room across the back space between the raised beds to try a wicking bed, or perhaps put a couple of 5 gal. hydroponic buckets.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Recent googling says that potatoes can be planted as early as 3 weeks before last frost date. Further info: Potatoes can be planted in a single layer cold frame/green house 3 weeks before that date, and 6 weeks early with double layer of protection. So... I'm chitting some potatoes now. Hope to get some early spuds in the green house! Our last typical frost date is May 10, though we've had frosts as late as June. I'll need to keep an eye on weather patterns, full moon cycle, and keep a blanket or two handy! Cold nights still result in some frost in the grow beds of the greenhouse. Weed seeds are sprouting in greenhouse. That's a good indicator that the soil is warm enough.

Latest posts