BTE, hugelkulture, hydroponics and other unconventional gardening

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's a great vision, LG! I can't tell you how much just a few IRs have decreased my pest load here!

I too will be doing a cover crop this year, but I'll be letting the sheep graze it, trample it and poop on it after it's big enough. Then I'll let the ducks in to work on it also. By then I expect it will be time to either cultivate it into the top layer of the garden or plant right into it, as is.

Will also incorporate a few raised bed situations for the perennials that do not enjoy our heavy, wet, clay soils in seasons that have too much rain followed by too much heat. Rhubarb, for instance.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rhubarb likes my garden too much. When I re-did the front half in raised beds, I took out the single plant that had taken up residence. Every year, it covered a huge amount of garden real-estate: About 6' diameter. And the roots not only traveled down, but there were some horizontal roots that traveled about 8' away from the mother plant. They were over 1" diameter. In spite of it's greedy land stealing nature, I planted a division at the end of each of the strawberry beds. I fear that it won't do well outside the garden. Partially due to soil not being as hospitable, (it does not like wet feet) and partially due to Mr. Mows It All.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Rhubarb likes my garden too much. When I re-did the front half in raised beds, I took out the single plant that had taken up residence. Every year, it covered a huge amount of garden real-estate: About 6' diameter. And the roots not only traveled down, but there were some horizontal roots that traveled about 8' away from the mother plant. They were over 1" diameter. In spite of it's greedy land stealing nature, I planted a division at the end of each of the strawberry beds. I fear that it won't do well outside the garden. Partially due to soil not being as hospitable, (it does not like wet feet) and partially due to Mr. Mows It All.

I've got it!!! I'll grow spuds for you and you grow rhubarb for me!!! 😁

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't even give Rhubarb away. Well, my Mom will take enough for 1 pie. At least she will take the Rhubabr Sunshine Juice that I can. She loves that stuff.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't even give Rhubarb away. Well, my Mom will take enough for 1 pie. At least she will take the Rhubabr Sunshine Juice that I can. She loves that stuff.

yet, when i see it for sale in the grocer's they don't sell it cheap!? i should ask the guy who runs the weekly farmer's market if he'd want some...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can't wait till my new plantings of rhubarb are big enough to harvest. A co-worker gave me some last summer. Unfortunately, I had made 17 jars of strawberry-rhubarb jam before I noticed that it had lots of woody fibers in it. Kind of like little fine splinters. So, unless I pick through the jam as I use it, I might as well just dump it in the compost.