BTE, hugelkulture, hydroponics and other unconventional gardening

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My poor rhubarb plant got totally flattened by the roofers when they stripped the garage roof and re-shingled it. I am hoping that It comes back this spring. There is a second plant that is tucked along the house foundation that is barely holding on because the dogs keep trampling it. They will be fenced in a different area after this summer, so it just needs to hold on for a little longer, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Both will come back. But, I'm guessing they will do better if moved away from your foundation. Because of the leachate from concrete, the soil there tends to be alkaline.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can't wait till my new plantings of rhubarb are big enough to harvest. A co-worker gave me some last summer. Unfortunately, I had made 17 jars of strawberry-rhubarb jam before I noticed that it had lots of woody fibers in it. Kind of like little fine splinters. So, unless I pick through the jam as I use it, I might as well just dump it in the compost.

after all that work! just mix it with apples or berries and eat it anyways, it's not like the fiber is going to hurt you. just goes out as brown as the rest of it...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've never even tasted rhubarb.... I guess I need to change that!

do you like green apples? it can be pretty tart. that is why i like it. some people don't like the texture because it can be somewhat slimy. i am ok to eat it plain in a pie with no other ingredients other than a bit of sugar and some lemon (and flour to thicken as it cooks). other people mix it with other things like strawberries because they don't like it plain.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My cousins used to sit on the picnic table with a bowl of sugar and eat the rhubarb right out off the plant. Snap off a stalk, rip off the leafy top, wipe it clean on their shirt, dip it in the sugar and munch away. It is too tart for me to enjoy that way.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ive eaten it that way when I was a kid and Mom had a plant. I also remember her slicing it up in a bowl and putting sugar and cream over it for us.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My cousins used to sit on the picnic table with a bowl of sugar and eat the rhubarb right out off the plant. Snap off a stalk, rip off the leafy top, wipe it clean on their shirt, dip it in the sugar and munch away. It is too tart for me to enjoy that way.

i'll stand there and eat it as it is without sugar. i like grapefruit without sugar too. tart things are good. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
after all that work! just mix it with apples or berries and eat it anyways, it's not like the fiber is going to hurt you. just goes out as brown as the rest of it...

Normal fiber... yes. But the fiber in this rhubarb was stiff, like sharp splinters of wood. Not an option.