Bug Out Bag/Emergency Camping

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we lived at our other place. Which I loved, but it became way to popular shortly after our purchase. I drove my wife to just about where we live now and said if SHTF and we somehow get separated, you'll find me around here. Now that we are around here, I have no other place I could think of going to. Why run for the hills when you live on one? I reckon we'll just have to hunker down.

Biggest concern here is wind, it is windy up on this hill. And grass fires, we have lots of grass. Forest is all safe distance away. But if forest did catch fire to the south on a windy summer day, I could see where that could become a real problem quick. Grass fires move very fast in the wind, so we would need to think on our feet for sure. Snakes also... Big consern around here. 16ga. is great for snakes.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Natural disasters are what we prepare for mostly.

For societal disasters, I think the tweekers will end up dead long before they get to the countryside. Town is more pickings and easier for them to get to so they'll all end up shot in that type of scenario within a month max.

We do have the military base here, and it's highly likely that they would step in to control the surrounding area. Makes sense from a logistics standpoint as many service members live in the surrounding areas. Both off us are old enough to be off of Fleet Reserve recall so won't be called back. We do get all our medical and meds from base, though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most organic peanut butters are in glass and Smucker's. We always have multiple jars in stock :hide. Santa Cruz dark roasted crunchy, and Smucker's organic crunchy are my favorites.

i don't like crunchy peanut butter but i do like eating roasted peanuts which after a few chews becomes like crunchy peanut butter. *shrug* i don't get it either. :)

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At the moment I would leave to my block of land if things got that bad, all of my hunting gear is together and I believe I could thrown it all in the back of my 4x4 in probably 20 minutes. All going to plan I will be living on my land by December, so once there I won't be leaving as it is/will be set up for my safe place with all the resources I need. It is going to be 100% off grid so I don't have to rely on anyone or the Government.
Food isn't a problem, the place is crawling with deer and as my diet is almost pure carnivore I certainly won't starve.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally moved in 3 weeks ago. Sorta. Still lots of stuff at son's house, but Ill get enough here to survive a few months. Then I'll start going back for the rest. What I don't want will go in a yard sale.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep a get home bag in each vehicle. We have stages to bug out (left over from living in hampton roads). Rv level (which we live in now) truck level (with motorcycle on the back) motorcycle level then on foot level. All set up to get us to our location here so time to retune. After 3 hurricanes, one flood and countless blackouts in my adult life. I like having options. That being said. Set up for what you need.

Bug out should have
Shelter
Cook set or way to boil water
Water filtering or purifier
Sleep system
Emergency rations
Navigation
Cash or coin
Spare clothes for the season
First aid
Self defense or hunting if you so choose
Hygiene kit
Duct tape
A decent multi tool
Knife and fire kit
Tarp
Garage bags
Meds
There are tons of examples out there.
Get a nondescript bag and assemble it Based on where you are going and what you need. BOBs are usually only for 72hrs max.

Get home bags are for getting to home like having to walk home. Mine fit behind the seat of the truck or the saddle bag of the bike
Water / life straw
Rations (protien bar)
Navigation (local map)
Emergency blanket
Small tarp
Cash / coin
Small bag

I dress for the weather and keep a rain coat in the trucks. Rain gear on the bike.

Trying figure out what you need is tough for the first bag. You can get a pre made one for 60 to 500 bucks to start then tune it to fit you. Or do the walmarts bob from a solid youtuber.
I did buy a stealth angel 5 person kit to see what it was like for 200 bucks. Not bad not great. Ok once i added a few things to fit us.

Our (DW, Cato, doggo and I) setup started life as a 4 day camping backpack kit 17 yrs ago. And i adapted it over time.
Buy good gear. Not expensive not cheap just good.
Buy second hand if possible on tools or gear never on rations or water filtering.
Train your pets to wear a harness ( process on going with Teddy) so they can carry thier own gear.
Never buy flashy bags or bags that are out of place in your area or where you are going.
YMMV

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would like to believe that our place would be a good SHTF place, but in reality, it is not. It is only about 1 mile off the major highway and our house it right at the intersection, way too close to the road. It would be really hard to defend if it came to that.
But we are far enough away from major urban areas, with a number of small urban areas between us and Green Bay, that we would have some time to get out.