Bug Out Bag... what is the minimum I need?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think we would ever "bug out" here. We would "dig in" Now, IF there was a reason to really leave...and we had at least an hour or so....we have a much larger plan....which includes some animals...trailor...feed...blankets...clothes...tools...dishes....tarps...bbut we would need at least an hour to get it all loaded, and ready to go. I hope we never have to bug out....I am all for diggin in, and protecting whats mine.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a BOB in each vehicle, plus one by the door, but it would have to be a DIRE DIRE DIRE emergency for me to BO. My survival plan is almost entirely sheltering-in-place. To BO, we would have to load up all the critters, b/c I would NOT leave them behind to a certain death. But, we could do it; we have a van & pickup, both fitted with hitches, & a small trailer. I'm thinking it would take substantially longer than an hour to get them (& supplies) all in, however. :/ And not sure where I'd go after that!

BTW, one of my BOB contains a can of sterno & one of those collapsible metal stoves. Not sure if anyone mentioned those.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would bug out in case of fire, or if my husband turned into a zombie and we had to get out... or if for some reason the FBI issued a manhunt for myself or one of my kids... in case of spreading virus, or general economic disaster, we'll certainly stay put.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no one BOB content list that works for every scenario or personal situation. It would depend on what you feel is the most likely reason to leave. If it's fire, I would say that important papers, CD's or DVD's with scanned family photos, some stored cash, medications, etc.

If it is something that may require leaving on foot and living out of the bags, then the list would be quite different. In that case there are plenty of lists out there that you can modify to meet your skill set and family needs. First and foremost would be shelter, water, and food.

If driving out, you could keep the basics stored in the vehicle, and the packs would just supplement what is in the vehicle.

The most important thing is to plan, and then follow through and put the kit together. A lot of us are great at the former, but lousy at the latter. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Flood and fire are 2 reasons you would have to bug out. In my case, I also live near a rail road track. A rr car crash and a toxic chemical spill would get me to bug out too.

It never hurts to be prepared for these types of events.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like a lot of the responses I see here, but what about a GMHB (get me home bag)/BOB that helps you figure out how to get there without using the roads if something extreme happens?

Compass, Topo Maps laminated with clear shelf liner for the area you live in, Walkie Talkies with batteries seperate for comms etc.... I don't bother carrying a pump style water filter, but rather carry purification tabs. Smaller and lighter weight. If you need to filter them, coffee filters also weigh a wholllllllllllllllllllle lot less. Also, 2-3 Cans of formula for baby, cloth diapers, bottle, and camden (sp?) tabs.

Farmerchick-

a BOB or GMHB is something that has a little bit of everything in it.. Mine changes with the season. In the spring-fall months mine also has a few different types of bug repellant, traps, snare making materials.. In the winter I have more clothing layers, plastic for tarps-ponchos etc...... And of course, an extra pair of shoes and socks ;)

I also keep a stash of LTS food in my bob in Mylar with o2 absorbers for a quick meal if needed.. But I generally plan to forage beyond 2-3 days for my bob.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wallybear said:
This is a matter of personal opinion only, but this is how I see it.

Shared Pack
12'x12' sheet of 4 mil plastic. Preferable with nylon weave.
50' of Para cord
aluminum pot for cooking and heating water
Fire kit including 2 lighters, mag stick and petroleum jelly mixed with cotton for tinder.
Pump style water filter
Collapsible water bag
Kitchen or hunting style knife with sheath
quality multi-tool
Bow saw blade and 2 nails for building a bow saw in the field
triangle file
Preferred firearm with 50 rounds.
small sewing kit
small fishing kit
6 Thompson style snares
Small hatchet
eating utensils
large metal cups for eating and drinking
Small Tactical flashlight
Choice of comunications to the outside world
First aide kit

Individual Packs (even small children can carry a little)
3 pair of socks
3 pair of under ware
1 pound peanut butter
2 pounds of rice
1/4 pound salt
3 large garbage bags
6 zip ties
Poncho
wool blanket
pocket knife (age dependant)
roll of toilet paper in plastic bag

The list for the small pack also goes into the large pack for the person carrying it. Depending on the age and size of the children you can slit up items from the large pack into the smaller ones. Remember no more than 7# of pack weight for every 50# of child carrying it.
Wallybear has a very good list. He is obviously experienced in the art of leadership. In his list the weights may be a bit extreme for a mother with 3 small children so there are a few things to consider here. The list he gives is more directed to a SERE situation for a military environment, rather than a mom with small children.

1. Why would you have to leave and where would you go? If you have to consider leaving and NEVER return (very grim situation only) then these things are very important but probably too heavy for you and your brood. You must have this plan firmly in your mind before just "bugging out".

2. Do you know how to use these things? Often as not, most young moms don't know how to set a Thompson style snare or much less what to do when the snare has been successful. What you need are the things that you require to make your journey with your children in the least amount of time, with the maximum of safety.

In order of importance during any "SHTF" scenario, especially when you have small children the essential considerations are as follows:

a) security
(yes, that probably means a gun. Do you know how to use such a thing and can you "do it" if need be?)

b)shelter/warmth
(not just for you but for 3 children and you...none of whom can offer you much in the way of knowledge or strength to help)
c) water
d) food

Note that food is at the bottom. Most folks will, if forced to do so, forgo food in order to be able to move to a safer location (usually at night) and be able to navigate in low light.

With small children, you need to have a plan for your initial trip, and a pre-planned PLACE TO GO and know how to get there.

Most of the BOB's and GMHB's are filled with things folks learn to use in the military services. Now that gals are getting that training, it is wise to assume they have more of these skills. Not so (as a rule) with the WASP,middle-class, well educated types who don't have any woodsmanship experience. Adding little ones to that is only going to complicate the process unless they are well disciplined and willing to do what mom tells them without a fuss. (the more tired they are or become, the less likely this is to happen)

In your situation, I'd recommend some non-fat powdered milk for nourishment and a way to purify water, NOT CARRY a lot of water. Yes, you'll need some, but the children and you will not starve in 2-3 days on milk alone. If you consider the use of a car, you would also have to imagine everyone else in your area doing the same thing...getting away from a dangerous but not evil situation.

Considering a Bug-out is a very serious move; life or death only in the number of cases. It is NOT a vacation or an exciting adventure. We all hope and pray with all our might that it never becomes necessary. There are still a number of older citizens in this country who had to "bug out" of their homes in Europe for one reason or the other. These were NOT good things and some of their families were lost...either by injury; disease, or being "hunted down". This is NOT a light decision.

Possibly a less serious explanation would be in the event of a calamity such as a de-railed train where you would need to evacuate for a brief time until the disaster has been controlled. In this situation, of course, you might need to think differently when it comes to food, blankets, and other amenities.

Another less serious scenario would be getting stuck in a ditch in the snow at night in your car where you would have to spend the night until help could arrive. This then indicates the need for a completely different type of preparation; one that assumes your personal safety is NOT the issue, moreso your health and welfare and that of your children.

Several folks have discussed taking valuable personal documents. This of course can get tricky and perhaps would be best handled by scanning them and burning them on a CD, and putting that CD in a waterproof, airtight container and ensuring its safety. You could send it by mail or bury it if need be. The less you have to carry, the less you have to remember when you are trying to think "0utside the box" and handle 3 little ones at the same time.

"...As always, if you or any of your IM force are captured or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your existence".

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Another less serious scenario would be getting stuck in a ditch in the snow at night in your car where you would have to spend the night until help could arrive. This then indicates the need for a completely different type of preparation; one that assumes your personal safety is NOT the issue, moreso your health and welfare and that of your children.
A winter travel emergency kit isn't a BOB. It's just a matter of practicality if you live somewhere that gets real winter weather. I mean, growing up in MN, of course you put certain things in the car come fall. By Halloween, just about everyone should have: Flashlight with spare batteries (reverse the batteries to avoid accidental switching and burnout, and replace batteries yearly)
Snack foods for energy, such as candy bars.
Water.
Gloves or mittens, winter boots, a blanket and/or sleeping bag, jumper cables, a basic toolbox, shovel, bag of sand or other grit (clay kitty litter works great) for traction, tow cable or chain, road flares and reflectors.
An extra set of dry clothing or a snowmobile suit.

This kinda stuff gets reinforced on the news channels too. It's just practical. Just like, in California, it's practical to have an "in case of earthquake" kit.

I just have trouble seeing a car emergency kit as a BOB.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are five things my husband has been drilling into the congregation for a few years now...

1. 30 to 90 days CASH, enough to pay mortgage, rent, utilities, fuel for vechicles, outside of the banking system.

2. 30 to 90 days food and water on hand. In a pantry, people used to keep a "pantry" for a "rainy day'. Just the normal stuff you eat, so you can rotate it in your normal everyday meals.

3. Keep your primary vechicle 3/4 tank or better at all times. If you need to get out of town, you don't want to have to wait in long lines to get fuel.

4. Up to date passports for each member of your family. (More expensive now than a few months ago.) Where are we going? Who knows, but you won't be going anywhere if you don't have a passport.

5. Physical Fitness, Get Some! In dire times, we just may be on foot for long distances, with only what we can carry. Look at the news from the Middle East lately... Those people you see trying to leave or living in Refugee Camps were not "homeless" before the uprisings. Now they are stuck at the borders... Don't think it can't happen here. For whatever reason.

And lately he has added...

Work on DOING your "Bucket List." We will look back upon these as "The Good Ol' Days." Don't put off LIVING, and ENJOYING the life you have. Treasure your friends and family. Make each day count.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are some excellent posts here. Thanks everyone.

There has been only slight mention of a few things that I think deserve more attention . . .

1. Where will you go? Are you just going to bug out and wander around looking for a place to go? Are you going to run across the street, jump into a ditch and cover your head? Planning and preparation in this area, to me, is very important. Every individual and every family will have different ideas about this aspect of bugging out. And I know it has been discussed here many times, the reason for the bug out decision has a major influence on the "where to go" plan. There is safety in numbers. Discuss the plan with family, neighbors, church groups, etc.

2. Self discipline. Teach yourself and your family to handle tough situations without panic or despair. Any event that requires a bug out will also create a certain amount of stress and even panic. Train yourself and your family BEFORE the situation arises.

3. Disciplinary training for the kids. Un-disciplined kids can wreak havoc on any serious situation. Start today with a vow to make your children behave and to respect your commands. This is not specific to a bug out situation only. Life, in general, is much happier for everyone when the kids know their place and act accordingly. Can you imagine a life-or-death situation and your 5 year old sits down in the middle of a road in freezing rain and says "No I won't go!"? Or, in the middle of the night you suspect that there is someone coming to do harm or take your provisions and the 8 year old decides "You can't make me shut up!".

Many parents seem to have a hard time with child discipline. Many cannot discern between discipline and punishment. Discipline is nothing more than training. Punishment is - well, punishment. Somewhere we confused to two. Maybe it started with some mamby-pamby, feel-good thought process that decided that punishment is a harsh word for our precious ears to hear and therefore we need to say discipline instead. Disciplinary action is somehow always associated with punishment. Where did we go wrong?

Just my 33 cents worth. Inflation you know ;-)