Bug out bag who has one?

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been skim over some survival forum. they all mention a bug out bag. How many people have one and what do you have in it. I have been think about making one for my car with a first aid kit and mre's blanket windup flash light a electric converter, tincan rocket stove, matches. This is just small list I probably add more as I think about it.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got 2 near the front door, but not very serious ones. Water, snacks, rain gear, gloves, lights, candles, TP. We're prone to flash flood or landslide.

S

sunsaver

When i lived in a an apartment in the city (during in the 1990s), i always had a bugout bag. Basically it was a backpack, all set for extended camping: dry goods, a pot, a pan, tarp, twine, knife, fire starter kit, water purification tablets, machete, space blanket, dry socks in a ziplock bag (better to have, than to need and not have). I never did pack a radio or other electronics. The idea was to get into the woods and survive, not play a radio and possibly attract attention or scare away my next meal.
Now that i have solar panels, permaculture beds, a well, fruit and nut trees, and plenty of squirrel and possum on my property, i have more of a fight mentality than a flight plan. :cool:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours are more "survival kit" than bug out bag. Each of my kids has a kit at school and hubs has one at work, in case they get stuck (say during a blizzard). I've posted about it before:

The 72-hour kit at school is something that perhaps others don't do (and may not be feasible for younger kids) but in case they get stuck at school due to blizzard or similar, our 2 teenagers each have 3 neoprene dollar store pencil cases in a drawstring gym strip bag in their lockers at their schools containing:

72-Hour Emergency Kit: Flashlight/batteries, Hand-warmers, Gloves, Toque, Socks, Matches, Candle, First Aid kit, Tylenol, Emergency blanket, Sewing kit, Duct Tape, Notebook/pen, Deck of cards, City map, $20 in coins, Emergency contact list

6 Water bottles and a 72-Hour Emergency Food Kit: 6 Granola Bars, 3 Trail Mix, 6 Fruit Leather, 3 cans Pork & Beans, 3 Fruit Cups, small Stainless Steel Bowl, Spoon, Emergency contact list

72-Hour Personal Hygiene Kit: Toothbrush, Bar of Soap, Washcloth Tablets, Sanitary Pads, individually wrapped Wet Wipes, Hand Sanitizer, Q-tips, Tissues, Emergency contact list

Each kid has an Emergency Contact list in each of the 3 kits as well as in their wallets with phone numbers for all family members including our out of town contact so they can check in either by cell phone or school land line. The bag 'o stuff fits easily into their school backpacks should they need to take it anywhere, and they also always have a change of clothing (gym strip) in their gym lockers plus whatever coat/jacket/outdoor layers they wore to school that day so we feel they are pretty prepared to go it alone for a while.

Hubs has a Workplace 72-hour kit in a zippered nylon bag containing similar items (slightly different food choices plus a hand-crank radio, work gloves and basic tools) in his desk drawer at work.

I should perhaps note that the reason the kids have $20 in coins, is because we don't have bills in Canada for $1 or $2 amounts anymore, so they each have a change purse of "loonies" ($1 coins) and "toonies" ($2 coins). Oh, and a "toque" (say "tuke") is a knitted hat in Canuck ;)
We do keep all the items we'd want to take during any sort of evacuation in our front door closet: cat carrier (with bag of food, gallon of water, and 2 small stainless steel bowls plus small cat pan and bag of litter), food and water, and a box containing photo negs/discs/hard drive. Our full camping kit is stored in a bin in the garage, so easily thrown in to the car (tents, stoves etc.) Both cars have emergency kits suitable for any season plus we have misc snacks in the glovebox and a case of water bottles in the trunk. We feel pretty prepared for most things that could happen to us here :)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a bug out bag, I keep most of our camping gear in the LQ of my horse trailer and have the 3 water tanks full except in freezing weather. I keep clothese, toiletries, extra meds, canned food and things the mice can't or won't get into in the cabinets. The pantry is by the backdoor so while I'm loading animals the kids job is to load food.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The good old BOB. Yup have 2 ready to go. :frow Always have one in the truck. Especailly have one when I leave the island. Scarey world out there. :)

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
When i lived in a an apartment in the city (during in the 1990s), i always had a bugout bag. Basically it was a backpack, all set for extended camping: dry goods, a pot, a pan, tarp, twine, knife, fire starter kit, water purification tablets, machete, space blanket, dry socks in a ziplock bag (better to have, than to need and not have). I never did pack a radio or other electronics. The idea was to get into the woods and survive, not play a radio and possibly attract attention or scare away my next meal.
Now that i have solar panels, permaculture beds, a well, fruit and nut trees, and plenty of squirrel and possum on my property, i have more of a fight mentality than a flight plan. :cool:
I guess I was looking at the bag as more of prepareness bag instead a run and hide tactic. Did you any any weapons in the bag for meal gathering.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a bug-out bag, but my car is fairly well stocked. Most people make fun of me because "you could live out of that car for weeks!" but, well, it has come in handy numerous times, like when we were stuck on the highway for five hours because of a huge accident, and when I've forgotten lunches or whatever. My own personal little emergencies have been covered by the "junk" in my car.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have one. Should get some ready...actually had some ready, but where I am...there is nowhere to bug out to..so..I don't see the need at this point.

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
After surviving Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, we all have bug out bags. My husband and I split what is included. Naturally we have all the usual items, flashlight, water bottle, granola bars, bandages and OTC meds such as aspirin (really needed it during Katrina), extra socks and underwear, soap, small size shampoos, eye drops, tissues and a roll of T-P, and a number of personal items such as insurance paperwork. Also sunglasses, spare reading glasses, phone charger (hand crank kind), toothpaste and manual tooth brush, and a whole lot of other small items.

We were able to leave before the storm and stay with family for the storm. What we thought would be 3 days turned into 14 months. So don't count on your bug out to last for the duration. I find the easiest way to figure out what you'd need is put box on your counter in the bath and one in the kitchen. When you are getting ready in the morning, put each item you regularly use in the box. Then inventory after a few days. Whatever you needed at home, you're going to need if you have to evacuate.

Also, remember that ATMs didn't work for weeks and prescription drugs ran out the first week after the storm. Have extra cash and your meds for at least a month.

Keep an address book with the addresses, emails, mobile phone numbers etc. of everyone you will need to contact The landlines were down for a month in some areas but you could text from some locations. Also have old fashioned paper maps with routes marked to key meet up locations. Make a copy for everyone you will need to meet up with after the disaster.

Also, this is just a personal thing but I keep at least one pillowcase in the bag. Nothing like being able to sleep on a pillow that feels like home even in a shelter.

Good luck with your bag. We hadn't had a hurricane in 40 years until Katrina. Luckily we had family to rely on in the country when our home was wrecked. Not everyone was so lucky. Even 6 year later, there are still people living in cars, tents, and on friend's couches who used to be homeowners. Don't think it can't happen to you, because no one is immune from disaster.