Bug Spray?

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've tried searching here and can't find anything. Do you guys make a bug spray that will kill those hover flies that hang out under pine trees? Maybe even gnats that are troublesome in the summer?

I read somewhere that spraying rubbing alcohol on them will do it, it kind of works, but it takes a while. And outside if you kill a few, more just come and take their place. But they come in through the door when going in and out, so it's really the indoor ones I'd like to stop without it taking so long.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Outdoors, I leave hoverflies alone. Indoors, I've not found anything more effective than sticky fly strips.
Good luck; they can certainly be irritating...

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denise, yes, those strips are what I have been using. Interestingly, I put one at knee level across from the back door that they are coming in, on a kebab skewer stuck under a book on a book shelf, and I've caught way more than I saw flying around. It doesn't seem to be in the way of walking past it and touching it. I know placement is important, but I've always put it up away from accidentally running into it. Maybe the new guys sneaking in the door are hearing the buzzing of the guys who are caught and fly straight to it! :)