Bugs eating my Cucs & Squash

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found today while i was weeding some bugs taht are eating my cucs and zuchini and broccoli leaves. They can fly, are a yellow/greenish color with little spots on them. I need to get rid of the little suckers asap!!! I didnt work this hard on the garden to let them destroy it. Im looking for a "natural" solution (not pesticides). Any ideas for me??????

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Most bugs hate soap solution :hu That's all I can think of. Soap(Dawn dish soap) and cayenne pepper, diluted in a spray bottle might work.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well it is too late for lady bugs, one of their favorite foods is the larva of the squash bugs you have. There is a product called insectacidal soap. It contains no incidicide and works by desloving the wax like layer that keeps bugs from loosing their body moisture. Harmless, but not "Natural" I think is is accepted as 'organic' but it is a contact spray which means you actually have to get it on the body of the insect (Good luck with that) so live with them or swallow your Green pride and ask your county Master Gardener for advise, they will stear you Green where there is a choice but sometimes toxics are the only thing that work.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Those are probably cucumber beetles, which can have polka dots or stripes. They're nasty little buggers, eating the flowers and causing disfiguration of the fruit.

John_henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Similar problem here. We had success with soapy water and also added some home made EM, a bit of chilli, garlic and tobacco wont harm either. Also watering with EM to build up the soil and make plants more resistant. Good luck

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use Voo-Doo Juice. Click on the view my page, I just posted it. Get your copy now!! LOL LOL

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
I use Voo-Doo Juice. Click on the view my page, I just posted it. Get your copy now!! LOL LOL
I saw this post and I mixed some up. Ur right... it STINKS when brewing... YUCK!!! It has seemed to work "OK" for now. I know its mainly suppose to be a repellant, and my plants are already so badly damaged that im not sure anything is going to help them right now. But I sprayed a bunch on yesterday evening, and it seems as if there are less around and less on the actual plant today. So, im happy with it and calling it a Success for now. Thanks so much.............

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And spray often!! I have those little bas____ds at my place and it's all out war now. I hit my plants with the soapy water spray almost daily. I think I have the upper hand now as there are not nearly as many.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think i have lost the battle.... i hand picked and sprayed, but there are just too many. they have destroyed my squash all together, my zucchini still looks and is producing OK, and my cucs are fading away.... I guess it just wasnt meant to be this year.

on the other hand, my tomatoes look AWESOME. there are TONS of blossoms and alot of little ones already!! So i guess my haul will be tomatoe products this year for canning, not pickles....