building a barn--update, what do you think of this quote?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, as some of you know, hubby and I are getting 6 or 7 nigerian dwarf goats in a couple of months when we move. Our issue is the barn area for the goats/milking room.

Has anyone built their own barn from the ground up? We have been getting some crazy estimates. We even looked at doing a 12x30ft shed with board and batten siding and they wanted $11000 for it. I just can't see spending that much money for 6 goats.

Anyone have any ideas about building something cheaper that still looks nice (neighbor is a PITA). Pics would be nice if anyone has any. Thanks!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about a pole barn with a metal roof? Those are very simple, cheap and easy to construct. My FIL built one and used rough cut oak for the siding. You can buy it straight from the saw mill and save so much money. The corner posts you can cut and use big cedar, locust or pine that are straight and save a lot of money that way. I think they look nice too, if you like the rustic look. You can paint it or seal it with linseed or old transmission oil. My FIL put a high quality green metal roof on his.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, go with a pole barn. Easy, inexpensive, definitely DIY material :) There are books n stuff out there about how to do it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Another route that you may consider is a pre-made building. At least around here, there are companies that sell or rent-to-own portable buildings. One of the local companies sells a 12x30 barn with loft areas for $5,095, or you can rent-to-own for about $235 a month. In three years it's yours. Just a thought.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree. a pole barn it is, at least for us!

We've been working on plans for a while 12x 42 will have 3, 12 x12 stalls and an 8 x12 tack room or whatever. or the other option is two stalls with an 8 foot walkway between...not sure yet

I do recommend a walk way between the two stalls for feed, water, tack. AT first I was thinking 5 feet wide but DH said no, 8 feet but what ever you can manage would be helpful. Think of where you are going to milk the goats, and how you will separate them out when they have babies. They will need heat lights.

WE are going to attach the chicken coop to the outside wall on the 12 foot side. that way we can access and collect eggs from inside the barn.... which really counts here with our cold windy weather... and then the hens can free range right into the pasture that it will be facing.

Helps to to have a water source if you can.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it. I don't think that we will keep any more than 10 and that's a stretch. I know I'll need kidding space but we were thinking of removeable pens for that when we need them.

We have a contractor looking at it and he gave us an estimate of $25000 for a 30x30 with 2 lean tos. I can't do that.

We've looked at pole barn kits and it is still soooooo expensive. Hubby can get free telephone poles but they are coated with creosote and he doesn't want to use them in the barn.

At this point we want a dirt floor and planned on doing a raised wood floor with a utility sink in a milk room that was like 10x10. We were looking at doing a general loafing area for the rest of it. Problem is that to get adequate drainage and roof angles we will have to do a 10 foot side wall which will bring the roof pitch to a 7-12. What does all that mean.....more money.

Lumber prices around here have skyrocketed and I just don't know what we can do with our budget.

Those of you that have used a pole barn kit, where did you get it from?

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if Oklahoma prices are cheaper, but here, my company would do a 12x 24 foot gable barn(7 foot walls with an 11 foot peak) for around 3500-4000. Now, that is total purchase price...which, if I was just building for myself, would probably be 1/2-2/3 of that price. Thats using metal tubing for the frame, then covering with sheet metal. If a person was to go with a wood frame, and use some type of cheaper siding(lap siding, t-111) a person might save more.
Give me a holler if you need any advice or such.

T

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can't your husband build it himself? Doesn't he have a buddy to lend a hand?

My brother in law put up a huge pole barn with just himself and a friend for 58,000 and it is huge, huge! Probably 6 times what you are thinking of.

You don't really use round poles. square 6 inch beams work best.

Remember when goats have their kids it can happen in the middle of winter, spring , fall so I hope those portable pens do the job.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and DH tracks lumber prices. He thinks things have started to go down.