Building An In-The-Ground Food Storage

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, it is so interesting how many different styles of storage are needed in different areas of the country and the world. Hollow redwood stumps? So cool! Could one be made into a coop or goat shed? Are termites and ants a problem in them? Can we see a picture?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Around here all the old houses have what they call coolers- a small closet on the north side of the house that has louvers and screening- it was a place to keep things cool in the summer in the cool marine climate on the coast.
In our area older homesteads have spring houses for cool storage of dairy products, produce, and beverages.
Springs and seeps can be deepened, lined with rocks, an overflow, rock shelves and roofed. I've seen them 8'x8'x8' or as small as 3'x3'x3'. It's not only a protected source of water but the running water keeps it pretty chilly. The shelves keep the items out of the water. A shady tree or woods prevents solar heating.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
In our area older homesteads have spring houses for cool storage of dairy products, produce, and beverages.
Springs and seeps can be deepened, lined with rocks, an overflow, rock shelves and roofed. I've seen them 8'x8'x8' or as small as 3'x3'x3'. It's not only a protected source of water but the running water keeps it pretty chilly. The shelves keep the items out of the water. A shady tree or woods prevents solar heating.
I've read about a similar style of spring house. Except the water was plumbed and it flowed into a large holding tank, and also had some kind of runoff system. I read about it in a book about the dust bowl written at the same time that Grapes of Wrath came out, but wasn't published b/c the publishers said the market wouldn't support two books of the same kind at once. The name of the book is Whose names are unknown. Great book. Gives a few small insights on life back then.

I would love to see the redwood rings too! :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just got the book rootcellaring last week & was skimming thru it & have a an idea of when we can afford to build a new shop for dh we will build one under it with a trap door so it is well hidden.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi gang I am just recently back to this forum, have been on TEG and BYC quite abit. Any way, I too am looking for an answer to storing veggies since I don't have a basement or root cellar. :/ I had thought of a metal trash partly buried about 4 foot or so and surround the top with straw bale cover with wood and insulation board. :rolleyes: But DH Informed me that the hole would have to have a drain, a layer of rock and also be lined with rock around between the hole and the can. :barnie Well it seems to be getting more complicated than I was wishing for. :th
:idunno Anyone have any simple temporary ideas???? :idunno

:frow Karan :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Karan - do you have a closet on the north side of your house that you could convert into a "root cellar"? It would require good insulation to regulate temps and ventilation to prevent mold. The Readers' Digest book Back to Basics shows how to build a root cellar out of a portion of your basement. But I think the principles would be the same for a closet. If you have a garage or shed, you may be able to accomplish the same thing.

edited - can't type today....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It actually needs to be underground, because the temps a few feet down stay at a steady 50 or so degrees. Insulating a basement room prevents heat from the mechanicals or windows from warming up the root cellar area, keeping it at the steady temp. So I don't think an above ground closet would work.....perfect for canning jars full of goodies, not so good for root crops. Pumpkins might to well upstairs, though.

Fluctuating temps also cause condensation, which promotes spoilage. Humidity requirements are also different for each veggie or fruit you want to store. A typical insulated root cellar has zones, with colder temps at the lower areas, and warmer temps higher up.

I would love to have a serious root cellar one day, it is a goal, but will take some $$$......so for now, a corner of the cellar that is deepest underground and coolest in summer and steady in winter will have to do. The perfect humidity for most root storage is too humid for canned goods, the metal will rust.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sorry I guess I didn't explain that I live in a moble home. We are in the process of moving chicken coop, run, duck shed, and outside furnace buildings. To clear the area to start the foundation for our Straw Bale home.
Just a thought in the area of using an shed or other building. If possably I find and older freezer (non working) and put it in the barn would this maybe work? Or maybe chest type cooler ? are they insulated enough?
We have quite a bit of apples forming on our trees, and have planted potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, squash ect.. Just can't fit it all in my fridge. and I have a 1/2 closet size pantry in my moble home. Any suggestions ???

Thanks

:frow Karan :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Karenleaf, tell them about your idea of burying the trashcan that you heard about.

I was told that I could dig one into the dirt of my dirt floor basement. But before I dig, I want to know everyone's opinion on the most efficient way. I too have hords of apples, crab apples and pears on the way this fall.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BBH, I bought a thermometer at TSC that also measures humidity, and placed it around my basement at various levels until I found the perfect spot, without digging, since the basement is already underground. My spot was near the attached garage, so that section of the cellar is completely underground, and the rest is mostly undergroundw with a little above ground with little windows at the top of the walls.

Karanleaf, I researched digging a hole in the ground outside, and I think the best way is to get an old freezer or fridge, remove the mechanicals and break the lock, and sink it in the ground so the door (on it's side if not chest-style, so it acts like it is chest-style) is level with the top of the ground. Drill drainage holes in the bottom of the fridge. Put a few inches of rock for drainage around it and underneath it when preparing the hole and filling the sides back in. Dig a shallow trench around it just below the ground and install drainpipe or more rocks, to divert spring run-off or water from heavy rains.....you don't want it filling with water! (That would be quite likely to happen with a trashcan simply buried in the ground. This time dh is right....but you don't have to tell him!)

Then you can fill it up, I'd use boxes with rope attached so I could lift lower items out of the bottom without getting into it. I would also put strawbales on top for the winter, or lots of bags of leaves, something to insulate it that I could remove easily in spite of the snow and freezing rains we get here . Just opening it every couple of weeks to restock the pantry and fridge in the house.

A trashcan is a smaller version of this, and you can more easily change your mind with a trashcan!

Anything in your house needs to be no warmer than 50 degrees for most veggies and apples. And stay at that temp. That is the trouble, especially when the winter sun is not shaded by leafy trees and there is a warm day or two, or every afternoon! Did you say which state you live in?