Building With Compressed Earth Blocks

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's amazing how similar they are, considering we're 1000's of miles apart :)

LOL @baymule

CDODD726

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
looks great.... how did you determine the the footer size and construction? Did you just lay CBs in a mortar bed in undisturbed earth or did you actually pour a concrete footer?

Flying J

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Footer size and construction somewhat depends on your location and type of dirt, etc. Living here in New Mexico the frost line is relatively shallow so a 14 inch deep footing was all that was required. I happen to have a bunch of cinder blocks left over from another project, so I used those. I simply stacked the cinder blocks without mortar and packed the cavities with dirt.

You don't want the CB's to be in contact with the earth as they will wick up moisture and degrade. With the cinder blocks being above ground level, I then started with the rows of CB's, each level mortared. You can stack these blocks without mortar but that makes it difficult to keep each course level, as each block varies in size slightly.

It has been up for 3 years now and it has not budged one bit. No cracking, degrading or any signs of movement.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
@Flying J ... I just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread and all the great pics ans info!!! The pics popped up at the top of the forum index and I'm super glad I clicked!!!

Latest posts