BullardBarnyard's Journal

BullardBarnyard

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
:weee I'm starting my journal. I know not hardly anyone on this site knows me, mainly because I don't post, but maybe this will change that! I'll start a journal about the things that happen around my little farm. It'll be fun! So I'll start with a little introduction, about myself and my animals!
My family and I live in a tiny little town in Nevada, with hardly any residents. It's a ranching/mining sort of community. I am a young man living on a tiny little farm with my parents. We have 2 dogs, Tia, who is my female mix-breed dog, and Pocket, my mom's Chihuahua. We have a cat, Piss Willy, who is named both after the TV show (Forget the name) and because of his bad little habbit, if you know what I mean. We have fish, but those aren't really anything special. We have 14 chickens. We first bought 7. 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Barred Rock, and 1 Australorp. Then we impulse bought 3 Ameracuana and 2 Easter Eggers. Then we said, ok, no more! But then my grandparents decided to get 4 chickens and cram them into a tiny little chicken coop, but once the chickens got bigger, they decided that they wouldn't fit. So they gave us two. Then we caught a Chukar and kept him in the chicken coop. Then my rabbits. We've had bad luck when it comes to rabbits, but it's a learning process. My first rabbit, I got for my birthday a long time ago. She lived outside and I didn't pay much attention to her, then we got another rabbit because I won some sort of Easter Poetry Contest at my school. They lived together for a few years. My attention to them came and went. Then, I got a small baby rabbit not too long ago. I loved that rabbit and she stayed inside. Well, we had decided to build a 'pen' for my two outside rabbits. Well, my mom demanded that I put my little rabbit outside. So I put her outside on the front porch. Well, she then moved her into the rabbit pen. Well, my other rabbit killed her. Then, we started to get bunnies from a couple who occasionally found rabbits in their garden. We left home and came back, just a day later, to find 2 of the 3 rabbits dead. And then there is our male rabbit, who lives (for now) in a small hand-me-down rabbit hutch. He is very sweet but has nails that you can't even imagine. We also have a goat. Her name is Gaga. Everyone loves her, and goes to her pen before they go inside to visit. She is spoiled and get's anything and everything she wants. She is very sweet, but is starting to experiment with gently pushing her head against my leg. That's going to stop.
So, that's the end of my little intro, and just so you know, you'll have to wait for my journal to officially kick-off! We're going muzzleloader hunting tomorrow and I won't be here to post! :) So, goodbye, and I hope you check back! :fl:hugs:frow:thumbsup

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the forum! :frow

Glad you decided to join in and start posting!

When you say fish, do you mean in a tank or in a pond? Hubby (doc-gonzo) and I have 2 aquariums at my moms' since we don't have room for them in our camper and she loves them so much that I don't know if we'll get them back when we do have room for them. :lol:

Looking forward to visiting your journal!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome If you're going to get more rabbits, don't stick them in w/rabbits you already own-unless you're putting a female in w/a male for breeding purposes. Rabbits are territorial and will fight. Look forward to reading about more of your journey.

BullardBarnyard

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
So did I mention we were going hunting? Well, we did. But I didn't get anything, my mom did. We only saw 2 bucks, one of which is now in the freezer :). It was fun, and after 3 days, I'm thankful all the animals at home are still happy and healthy. My mom's friend watched the animals, and doesn't have a farm, and really doesn't like to get dirty, but it was nice. I've noticed a few things she didn't do quite right, like feed the goat her usual about, spilled food, and the cat had no food. We were unable to get food and we figured she would have brought over some cat food (she has a LOT of cats..) but we didn't. So we gave him a can of tuna. :).
So, now, I have a question. We're getting an outside cat, a "mouser". Is there a way to keep him on our property? Thanks! Stay tuned;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Is this cat fixed? If not, make sure you get it fixed. They'll be less likely to wander if they're not looking for love. Also, for the first week or so, keep it in a large crate w/food, water and a litter box. This way, the cat will know that's where home is. Otherwise, it won't know where it is, and will try to go back home.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on (your Mom?) getting the deer :)

Ditto Deb's comments on the cat coming home--if it knows where home is and feels safe/cared for, it will stick around. Any predators in your area? When we lived on Vancouver Island lots of outdoor cats were lost to cougars.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, welcome! :) Good to have you here.

And, as everyone here knows, I do appreciate women... but I always encourage the men who (like me) come here to post.