Bumblebee tuna recall

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is a recall on 5oz Bumblebee tuna in the can. here is a link to an article with the can numbers.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...na-products-due-to-loose-seals-195549311.html
Bumblebee is (to me) one of the worst cans of tuna out there I went and checked the pantry and I must have fed the last one to the cats last month. our local box store(Meijer) has some of the best whole white albacore tuna that I've had and it is always on their 10 for $10 11th free sales so I usually have at least 12 or more cans on hand but one week they ran out and subbed the bumble bee. I will never buy it again. not solid or even nice and white -all broken and chunky and once drained not even 3oz left. it is great if you want to dose your kittys with wormer but not for eating. Figured I pass it along.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Emerald. I just pulled 6 cans out of my pantry and mine are good. I had never really noticed a problem with the amount of tuna but I will pay closer attention now. I only buy solid white albacore, not the best price wise but anything else reminds me of cat food anyway. Do you have a favorite brand?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to only eat Starkist but when they started putting the Meijer brand on sale for a buck I decided to buy a few cans and try it and it was better than any other type I've had other than the one from gorden foods in the huge cans that our social club buys for luncheons. But I can't eat what looks like a number 10 sized can cut in half of tuna at a time! lol
Meijer is only in Michigan/Ohio/Illinois/Kentucky and a few other states around Michigan tho.. But their name brand stuff is usually really good but then it is only a couple pennies cheaper than national brands.
I know that many folks are not tuna lovers but I grew up with Grand parents that loved tinned fish of almost all kinds and my grandfather and myself were always fishing(I guess I should have my mercury levels checked lol) and a good tuna salad sandwich or smoked kippers really reminds me of them.. :)

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
WE usually buy the store brand that last time I bought starkist or bumblebee not sure which seem like there was a lot more water than tuna. seem more I squeezed the more that came out. the store brand had less water.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I understand the whole thing about "tinned" fish. Strange how what we grew up with is something that we continue to love. I must have smoked oysters in the can as well as sardines, and a salmon patty with canned fish is a favorite. My mom would buy the 5 of us kids a can of oysters as a treat when we went shopping. She rarely bought something sweet so oysters were a hit at our house.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was allergic to the red dye (5 maybe) and anything colored with it made me violently ill so I was not big on candy growing up and don't get me going on maraschino cherries I still can't eat those. I so get the "odd" treats thing!
But my favorite growing up cookie was cinnamon graham crackers with jiffy frosting mix in between!
But my grandma made the best canned salmon croquettes with cream sauce and new peas ever.. she wasn't a fan due to eating so much salmon during the depression but they are still a favorite dish of mine.

WyoLiving

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Emerald,

I'd be interested in the recipe for the canned salmon croquetts, if you wouldn't mind? Please ...
I make the salmon patties from the recipe on the can but would love to try something new.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WyoLiving said:
Emerald,

I'd be interested in the recipe for the canned salmon croquetts, if you wouldn't mind? Please ...
I make the salmon patties from the recipe on the can but would love to try something new.
I don't have it :( I have all of my grandmothers cook books and hand written stuff but the croquetts and the cabbage rolls were not found anywhere. I may try my hand at making them as I do remember soft white bread crumbs-celery-a little jar of those red pimentos maybe some chopped onion and butter and egg but I'm sure that there are other things too. If I can ever afford canned salmon I'll try it out a bit and see if I can get close.