Burger Bun Recipe

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking for a good Burger Bun recipe, nice a soft and easy to make!

We use a breadmaker for the dough.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried this recipe today and my buns didn't rise really at all :idunno I don't know what I did wrong... The dough came out of the breadmaker really nice, I did everything the recipe said to do and they didn't rise much at all. I set my oven at 170* and then let it cool down a bit and put my stuff in there to rise uncovered because its all enclosed. Could that have been the problem?

Thoughts?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, I put them in the oven anyway figuring we'd just have some really awesome biscuits tonight LOL and they've risen while baking and look great so far. They're not very big, so I'm going to try a different cup next time for cutting them but so far pretty good.

I mixed in some "greek herb mix" in with the dough while it was in the bread maker and they smell fantastic.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear how they compare to boughten buns. I would love to make my own hamburger buns sometimes. But SO is kinda fussy about changing his traditional food. :/

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say... they were WAY tastier than store boughten stuffs. I think you need to use a bigger cup than one that is 3.5 inches though, wishful thinking lol my burgers are chicken burgers and even they are way bigger than the buns. They didn't rise much for me but that may have been because of conditions. I added greek herb mix to it and they smelled incredible and tasted even better, but next time I'm going to add MORE greek herb mix than I did the first time to give them a little bit of extra zing.

They were *so* nice and soft and moist, very tastey, and took about 10-12 minutes in my propane oven.

I might even try cheese topped ones next time!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Your bread machine probably came with a booklet that includes a pizza dough recipe? Make that, then form it into buns and let them rise on a baking sheet for 45-90 minutes (by eye) then bake at 400-425 F til done, typically 15-20 minutes ish.

I find that makes pretty nice burger or sausage buns, a little bit softish and sweetish like storeboughten without actually being so wonder-bread-y :p

(Actually I find that if I swap in about 1/3 whole wheat flour and some crunchy bits, and make the whole dough into a single loaf to let rise for an hour or hour and a half then bake in the oven, the bread-machine pizza-dough recipe makes pretty decent sandwich bread too :))

Good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

Latest posts