Burned applesauce on the bottom of the pan

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bourbon Red said:
I don't have any better suggestion about getting off the burned stuff - but I did discover that cooking applesauce, tomatoes, etc. in the oven prevents scorching to begin with. Fill up your big kettles and put them in a slow (250-300F) oven and the stuff will cook beautifully without burning. It's saved me several times....
Great idea! I've used my big crock pot too. Makes the best apple butter and you don't have to stay up all night and stir every 10 minutes!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, this happened to my enamel coated pot when I was cooking my apples for applesauce this weekend. :somad I don't want to use steel wool or anything, because I'm worried it will scratch the enamel. I soaked it all day, the burnt on apple didn't budge. I tried boiling water in it, no good. I tried adding vinegar to the water and boiling, still not go. I tried scrubbing with baking soda and vinegar. Nope. I'm thinking I'll have to try the cascade (which I don't really want to buy cuz I don't have any other use for it) or oven cleaner.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey calendula - I had some luck in getting the pot really really hot from hot water sitting in it, then dumping it out and letting it air dry. Some of the burnt applesauce curled up around the edges, away from the pot. It was easy to flick off the curled parts with a fingernail at that point.

Still working on the rest of the burned stuff, but any little bit helps at this point! Maybe that will help you too.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm going with a power sander with this one. :lol: Takes anything off. If your not careful though it can take a 2x4 done to a tooth-pick. :weee Good luck

JojoBean

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I know this is a old post, but if your pan is Stainless steel "Bar Keeper's Friend" ( a mild abrasive cleaner found near Comet powder in the store) works wonders on burnt on food. Wet the pan, sprinkle a generous amount on the blackened spots, let sit for awhile and scrub off. This will make your stainless steel pans looking like new.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I know this is a old post, but if your pan is Stainless steel "Bar Keeper's Friend" ( a mild abrasive cleaner found near Comet powder in the store) works wonders on burnt on food. Wet the pan, sprinkle a generous amount on the blackened spots, let sit for awhile and scrub off. This will make your stainless steel pans looking like new.
I've never tried BKF on burnt on food. Huh. I keep it around for other stuff. Thanks for the tip! I will try it. This is the first year neither DH nor I have burnt a pot of applesauce, so yeah, we're starting to figure that out. :gig

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's what I use Britesea. Bit of water and baking soda and put it on low on the stove.

I have an issue with using elbow grease unnecessarily. I'm lazy.