BUSY--Who is BUSY!?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farm time for me now.

So busy it is insane and I love it...LOL

120 acres in full swing and the animals are doing fine. Buying 200 Red Sex Link 16 week pullets on the 24th....gotta go get them and bought about 25 piglets to add to the 100 we have.

Hay fields are doing well and now we are plowing, ripping, disc etc. etc. like crazy.

Got taters, onions, radish etc. in the fields and cabbage, turnips etc. are right on their heals.

Farmer markets are kicking in and customers are starting to come outside again....lol....spring is here for me in NC and I love it. Can't wait for summer!

I got cantaloupe to try again this year....only planting 2 acres to see if they do well. Will do about 6-7 acres of watermelon this year cause they sell so well.

SO WHO IS BUSY!!

What is spring going to do for you?

Are you gardening etc. for personal use or are you selling your products from your homestead this year?

Wondering who is making money off their land.

Hope everyone is doing well. So hard to get online and chat now. Just too much work happening....gotta mow sometime, the wild onions are tall...HA HA HA

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Well, I WAS feeling stressed, but your 8 acres of melons alone kind of put my gardening into perspective :) I imagine you're mechanized, though.

I have about 1 acre for CSA farm for 10 families, plus all the stuff that is given away to our families, ourselves. Overflow goes to 2 local markets.

We're tapping trees for hopefully 4-8 quarts of syrup for our own use.

Thinking about more chicks to add to our flock of approximately 90 birds. Selling about 20 dozen eggs per week to friends and family.

Would like to get bees by spring--can I get all my ducks in a row in time?!?

So, time to go work :) Good luck, FarmerChick! Love your enthusiasm :)

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aaaaackk! And I was getting ready to freak over ten acres!!

OK! I am not planning on tilling for another month at least! Too cold still. I am starting some indoor stuff, but already made a deal for spring plants from a greenhouse in return for eggs and bread.

So I am chillin still while fretting over my I think broody hen! :weee

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Not too busy, but not setin' around either. Tomorrow we'll be tilling out little garden spot. It's only about 50x100, so I have garden envy already. We'll be starting seeds in about two weeks and the planting about two weeks later.

Today we're still cleaning up branches downed during the ice storm, and we'll probably be still doing that and cutting down severely damaged trees all through the summer. We'll sure have a lot of fire wood though.

The "New & improved" chicken coop still needs to be completed, after being put on hold over the winter.

We had a small pond dug last week and we'll be moving the dirt from it to other areas of the property that could use a bit of fill.

Add to that a dozen or so other smaller projects (like most people) and we'll be busy enough to probably have a few left over, at the end of the summer, for next year.

As someone was quoted in another recent post, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming".

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I am kinda busy between work, yard and garden. Plus in the next coming month I have my first chicken coop to build for my small flock of eight. Then I have a two fences to put up around the garden. One fence to keep the deer out, the second fence will go around the first fence to provide the chickens some free range are for spring, summer and fall. Its a spin off idea of a moat style in Mother Earth mag. I saw.

I have the garden going inside, started tilling in some organic stuff in before I put in my cold crops in three weeks

Then after the chicken coop is built, have a log cabin style (logs locked on top of each other) flower bed I am going to build from some downed trees from a storm.

A new strawberry bed is going in this year it will hold 250 plants, 25 each blackberry/raspberry bushes, and to replace some trees (55) as well as plant some other 44 fruit/nut trees.

Than a new grape trellis is needed as well as plants after a tree fell on top of the old trellis.

So yea, I have some things to do, but over time not like you everyday.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My list is ALWAYS so much longer than my day!!! And always will be! But that is just who I am.....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Karen,

Nice to see you around :)
Sounds like you are nearing full swing!

I have too much on my plate as usual...gotta build a chicken coop and duck house as well as new raised beds, plus working on my classes and web site, I also have a couple of extra curricular that keep me busy.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I've been working on a raised garden bed for two days.............. :p Haven't got far with it because something keeps coming up and interrupting our plans (or changing them completely) for the day.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm jealous.

I am in "waiting out winter" mode, which is proving a little longer than normal this year. So I'm kind of bored, actually.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Karen glad to hear all is well.

Spring has sprung around here. Garden beds are planted, sure wish I had built a few more. Weeding the strawberry patch and putting down mulch. terracing my hillside maybe for berries of some kind. Chickens are laying well. Selling a bit more eggs to friends. Going to pickj up two dozen sex links this weekend. Maybe talk the dh into another coop. I wanted a couple Bourbon Reds but no place to put them.

Other SS goals, All laundry has been on my line. Drying fast and furious. Laundry soap is made just have not tried it yet.

Had a killer score on canning jars, I can't wait to start filling them.

Finally got my taxes done, wish me luck maybe I'll get some fencing done. :D

Nothing like acres of melons and onion but it keeps be busy.