butchering time is soon, what should I be feeding my hog?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Does that title sound right? Anyway, since many of you guys have hogs...

I am trying to have my hog (not a piggy anymore @ 230lbs) butchered next week. For many reasons, it is the perfect time for it to happen.

Anyway, do you do anything different during the last few weeks of the hogs life? (He is not on any meds/antibiotics.)

He is eating lots of hardboiled eggs daily, hog food pellets, table scraps (slop) and bananas (one per day). Anything else I should be doing?

Oh yeah, he is also helping me by finishing off some old rabbit food.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We always take ours the last 2 weeks...and throw as much corn at them as possible. I mean...really....ALOT!! 2 pigs went through 4 bags of corn, the last 2 weeks. Just shelled corn, not cracked. THey really like the chomping of it. :) Congrats on the upcoming D day....or B day. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Bacon!!!

Really, I have no idea. I just wanted to say bacon.

:pop
:yuckyuck :lol:

Yup, they grow fast! Two pounds per day! He is eating me out of house and home. Every time he hears the back door open, he starts squeeling for food.

One of my thoughts was to let him out in the back yard for the rest of the week. Just so he would be extra happy during the last week he is with us. Unfortunately he roots up all my grass, then the sheep get mad. :/

Now, does anyone know if I have to pay up front to have him butchered? (A mom and pop shop here has a mobile butchering unit.) How does that normally work? (I'm calling them tom. morning.)

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute! I thought you were going to send him to our farm to "live out the rest of his days in peace." I was going to give him a great life too - for a few days anyway.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I was going to suggest pasture, but a loose pig that size may not be a good idea. Especially if your neighbors like the taste of bacon. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well Jam, there will be lots of him to go around! ;) He will be easier to cart around in my Honda AFTER B-day. ;)

DM, I don't think he will go anywhere b/c he never did in the past when he was pastured in the back yard. I am afraid he will get stuck under the back porch and just up and carry it off though! :lol:

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now, does anyone know if I have to pay up front to have him butchered? (A mom and pop shop here has a mobile butchering unit.) How does that normally work? (I'm calling them tom. morning.)
We always pay ours with a check as soon as they are done. Just ask them what it costs, usually about $60-$85, and then tell them where you want them to take the carcass. Easy-peasy. There will still be a little mess left on the ground that you might want to clean up before your daughter gets home (I'm just assuming that she won't be there ;) .)

Latest posts