butchering time is soon, what should I be feeding my hog?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
do you have woods on your property? Salatin runs his pigs in his woods for 2 weeks before slaughter. they supposedly get really tasty rooting around in there and they make the forest super healthy!
That is all we have around here! Thanks!

Thanks Jam, good information!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thought you like to see this if you hadn't already (someone else posted it not long ago).

the bit about the pigs starts at 21 mins 14 secs. it's all interesting, but it's a tad long if you just need the pig info. enjoy!

Salatin pig video

eta: at one point he says they are eating "local GMO grain, like the chickens" but i'm PRETTY sure he means non-GMO because he mentions that elsewhere in the video series. it was a bit of a shock when i first watched it but i think it's just a verbal slip.

eta2: has there ever been a better line than "These are happy pigs that are getting to fully express their pigness?" :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
thought you like to see this if you hadn't already (someone else posted it not long ago).

the bit about the pigs starts at 21 mins 14 secs. it's all interesting, but it's a tad long if you just need the pig info. enjoy!

Salatin pig video
Thank you!!!! I haven't seen that yet!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Be sure to be very clear about what you want to keep, since they routinely toss stuff for most everyone the you might want to keep. Have the separate the fat into different types and mark it. Leaf lard makes the best lard for the best cooking, save that for the special occasions.

You might want to salt your own salt pork, too. Easy to do.

You might want more bones for broth than most people take.

You might want the organs for yourself or for the dogs.

Ask a lot of questions and do some research and be sure to get everything you want back!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
just tell them you want everything but the tail, the feet, and the hide. then you can put that big ol' nasty pig head down at the end of your drive and see if the garbage guy will take it!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

and for heavens sakes get the liver! liverwurst for all! (its the breakfast of champions)

do you have a grinder???

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Everything but the hooves, the hide and the heiney(sp?) (tail), check! :p

Whatever the dogs don't eat, the chickens will, right?

Nope, I don't have a grinder. :(

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
as a child, hog killing time was my favorite time of year. i have the clearest memories of being 4 or 5 years old and jumping up and down in my great-grandfather's garage screaming "when do i get to grind the piggies? when do i get to grind the piggies?" i loved that old hand crank grinder... wish i knew where it ended up.

i'm going to have visions of piggies dancing in my head tonight. MUST. GET. PIGS. OR. DIE. TRYING.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Pickled pig's feet....you need the feet! :p It's "everything but the oink!"

Do you have a food processer or a stand mixer? You can do some limited grinding in a food processer, and you can get a small but servicable grinder attachment for maybe $60 if you search long and hard online.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'll eat a lotta things... but not them's pig feet! actually i just couldnt cowboy up to do it this last time but i understand they have some great collagen (??) in them.

yep we found a great grinder for our kitchenaide at Sur La Table... and then you could have an excuse to go into the market! whoot!

even if you dont have a grinder now get all the trimmin's and fat -- you can always beg borrow or steal (i mean "find on craigslist") one later.

we use a lot of ground pork - for everything. last week we used some seasoned as 'taco meat' on nachos, today i'm making a double batch of meat sauce for lasagna, we'll mix ground pork+turkey and have 'meat ball day' again...

:)

Latest posts