Buttermilk from raw milk

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can get buttermilk starter at culturesforhealth.com They also list that you can make it from store bought buttermilk, but they say it won't continue to reculture long term.

The directions with their "heirloom" buttermilk culture says that if you're using it with raw milk you need to keep a small batch of cultured starter that is made from heated milk. Then from that you add the heated and cultured milk to raw milk (1:3 ratio) to make the raw buttermilk. Otherwise the good bacteria in the raw milk will compete with the culture bacteria and eventually take over. I hadn't heard this before, anyone know about this?

We use a lot of buttermilk - it's what we soak all our grains in - at least a quart a week. I need a culture that will continue indefinately - I don't mind the extra steps if it's absolutely necessary but since I hadn't heard about that before I thought I'd consult with the experts here.

Thanks!
Debbi

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you need to sterilize everything to make a mother culture if you want it to culture "true." You can then freeze it in ice cube trays for about 3 months, if I remember correctly.

BTW, you can also soak your grains in any other lactic acid containing dairy product, including whey from straining yogurt and kefir, and whey from mesophillic cheeses made without mold spores. You can also freeze these in ice cube trays when you have an abundance for use when you don't!