Buttermilk

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone here do their own buttermilk? Do you buy the culture? or do you use store bought buttermilk for the starter? How do you do it? Directions and reciepes please. I am just learning the whole fermenting thing. I researched it on the internet, and went to the library, but they don't have any books on fermenting. So I am basically lost, but I am going to start some jar kraut today. I do think I can figure that out. :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
there's great info on the herds site!

you can either:

* buy a culture - just mix with milk and hold at temp per the instructions
* use a starter from your last batch, or even grocery store buttermilk
* shake-a, shake-a, shake-a quart of cream and get your own real buttermilk from making butter!

i got a culture going for my goats milk - its heavenly. check out the backyardherds site under dairy products

:)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I do. I take about 1/2-1 cup buttermilk and put it in a quart jar. Then, I fill the rest with milk. I leave it set out, covered, at room temp for 1 day. Presto!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just understand that the buttermilk you get from making butter is not the same as the cultured buttermilk you buy in the store or make from milk and a starter culture. It is confusing that the same term is applied to both these products, but they are very different.

You can also freeze a bit to use as a starter if you don't want to keep the same batch going, if you end up with too much buttermilk. Just use it up within 2-3 months.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The water from making butter is really like skim milk, sort of, since it is really just cream with all the fat removed. Cultured (good bacteria) buttermilk is more like a thickened milk or sweetish liquidy yogurt. Both are good for baking.