button quail?

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hello everyone

i am wondering about button quail. i saw an ad for some on CL and hadnt heard of them. so of

course, curious me, goes and looks them up.

i'm not finding a whole lot of information on them. its like three people with them shared

their info and then the rest of the web just copy/pasted it. :?

my biggest questions right now are:

*size- they get to like 5 inches tall at most? are they worth keeping for meat? i mean if they

are a little meaty then they look like they would be easy as pie to butcher. but isthe meat

tasty or enough there to be worth butchering?

*eggs- i read that they "are egg producing machines" and that the females if not fed well will

go right on producing eggs and take calcium from their own bones and eventually get so weak

they cannot stand or walk. okay but how many do they tend to lay?! argh.... like one per day?

two per day? one every other day?

*housing- i'm in ohio and i really dont think i would want them inside the house. for one i

have a small room as it is and for two i'm not one for animal smells in the house. could i have

them in a barn outside? even through the winter? the coldest we get is usually about 10*F and

rarely lower. the barn is quite draft proof and i am working on a non-electric and non-flame

way of heating the barn. i'm also wondering if it would be better to have a sort of large

colony set up or smaller family set ups. such as a "room" in the barn of about 5ft by 4ft and

about 7ft tall. then i could have lots of shelves and ramps and perches and hiding places,

which would in a way make it much bigger because they could get away from each other if they

wanted to. and have fake vines and plants all about. and hay as bedding. OR do i want to do

cages? i was thinkin family group set ups for cages. so a cage of about 2ft by 5ft and maybe

2ft tall. and probably two adult pairs per cage. this give plenty of space for young hatchlings

to grow up as part of the family. but i am wondering since they are only about 4-5 inches tall

as adults how small their feet must be so what size wire mesh would i need for flooring? and if

it was real small would that just be too much a pain in the butt to clean versus the colony

type idea?

*feeding- i want to be as self-sufficient as possible. i found that they like millet, apple,

cabbage, cucumber, broccoli, corn. they like mealworms and crickets (i'm not a bug/worm person

though i dont imagine it would be hard to have a little mealworm or cricket "farm" bin but i

have no idea what those eat). 22-25% protein feed is best. feeding mashed up boiled eggs with

the shell (for calcium). i have read that turkey mash or non-medicated game bird feed is a good

base. and i read that people who have large aviaries use the little button quail (which are

ground bird but can fly a good distance) to live on the floor of the aviary to eat the spilled

and otherwise wasted feed. and that they live entirely on the spilled feed. which to me doesnt

seem like it would be all that much.

and the incubation period is 16-21 days and they begin laying as early as 6wks old!

so can anyone give me any more tips or info on these? thanks!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Button quail are tiny! I have corturnex quail and they are great for breeding and eating. They don't perch. I keep mine in cages of 8 female and 2 male. I give them a rabbit nest box to lay and sleep in. They generaly lay and egg a day. I get a non medicated chick starter for mine and add millit, and give them some greens to eat 2X a week. They are hardy and do good outside.

I don't know if it would be worth butchering the little button quail or not.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
buttons for meat: not a good choice, they are itsy bitsy, youd need about 5 of them to make any kind of meal
eggs: buttons like all quail will lay 1 a day, eggs are also itsy bitsy
housing. buttons form pair bonds, they need to be housed as pairs (in colony situations buttons can become highly agressive!)

my suggestion, look into cortinux or texas A&M's these guys a are bigger than buttons, but equally easy to keep, 2 cortinux is considered a seving size and they are increidbly easy to butcher. and they are "group" breeders,ive ready anything from 1 male to 3 females up to 1 male to 6 females.
Quail in general are great because they grow alot quicker than chickens, they start laying alot earlier too. the Feed to laying rate in quail is much better than it is in chickens (costs less to "grow" 1lbs of quail eggs than it would to "grow" 1lb of chicken eggs in terms of cost of feed. same goes for meat...
they dnt require alot of room either!

personally im hoping to do a couple of pens of cortinux 1 male per 5 females and hatch out for meat. i joke that there "single serving chickens" lol. because for me 1 cortinux is enough for my meal :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I agree. Button quail aren't worth it. They're called button quail for a reason!

ruthless

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Button quail are for looking at/enjoying pets. They are about wren size when full grown.

They do not do well normally in colonies although some may keep them that way. Best kept in bonded M/F pairs.

They will not tolerate the cold below 50 degrees for any extended period of time.

Sounds like you are wanting something more productive.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hm... okay button quail idea has been scrapped. lol.
i had looked into coturnix quail before but had not been able to find anyone with them. and quite honestly i dont want to buy an incubator and eggs and everything needed to house them, etc. ...and then end up with cooked eggs :/
i've never done any egg incubating....

alrighty looks like i'm venturing over to backyardchickens.... <sighs> this makes my new tally at 16 forums i think.... :ep