Buying Lard?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I was in an Indian market this weekend and they had meat trays filled with pork lard, wrapped in plastic in the frig.

Should I buy some? What would I use it for?

I am guessing frying things like to sautee meat for stews, quiche crust....but that is all I come up with!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
That is probably better stuff than the containers of lard available in my stores which contain added hydrogenated fat. Why add that junk to an already saturated fat is beyond me. OK, I know it is profit driven. Wish they would just leave good lard alone!
If it's pure, it would be worth the purchase.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree. A lot of the store lard is hydrogenated. I found a local Butcher that actually gets their lard in from a little lady that renders it the old fashioned way. It is woth it not having hydrogentated oils. If you buy that fat then you can render it yourself!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Good to know, I will pick some up next time. I assume
it has to be kept cold, but anyone know if it can be frozen?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The only commercial brand I can find that isn't hydrogenated in Faraon Manteca. I get it at the Mexican market.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
(Use it to make the best blue corn tamales!!!!!! :drool I have a great recipe and it isn't hard or too laborious. They freeze very well.)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I second the tamales. Your mouth won't know what hit it. In a good way. Not like a baseball. (I'm done now).