Buying Meat on the Hoof for Dummies

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Awesome.
Does anyone know the other name that London Broil would be called? thats normally the cut I buy to make jerky!
I think London Broil is just a thick (2") cut of round steak. At least, when a customer would ask for "London Broil," that's how my former boss did it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Having grown up in another country, I was shocked when I came here and couldn't find a butcher shop!
In South Africa, you find them EVERYWHERE - and you can go in and select what you want, you can see the animals hanging in the back at most places, and you can see them cutting the meat up and packaging it etc.
Each butcher has his own specialties, so you can normally find your favorite one or two, go there for dried meat products, go here for sausages - or one place for lamb and another for beef etc.

Only when I came to the USA did I have to buy meat from a grocery store, and I always felt a little odd not being able to see where it was being cut up and packaged etc.
That's how it was in Germany when I lived there, 35 years ago; maybe still is, I don't know. There were 3 butcher shops in a row on the street where I shopped - one sold mostly fresh cuts, chops and roasts and such; next door was where I went for sausage and ham; and then next came the game and poultry butcher, which is where I found my Thanksgiving turkey (got the biggest he had - 12 pounds - and it just fit in my little oven!)