Buying Meat on the Hoof for Dummies

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome to SS Cinebar! :frow

Could you more give more of a description about that mobile "slaughter truck"?

I have a cousin that is currently working to equip one of those.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Welcome to SS Cinebar! :frow

Could you more give more of a description about that mobile "slaughter truck"?

I have a cousin that is currently working to equip one of those.
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I didn't have much to do with the slaughter truck but I remember when my boss had to equip one to replace the one he had sold (there's a story behind that) how expensive it was.

Obviously, it had a refrigerator system and hooks (hydraulic?) to lift the animals off the ground to be butchered and then to move the sides and/or quarters into the truck.

"Gut barrels" (the name speaks for itself) also accompanied the truck. The gut barrels, when the truck would return to the shop, would then go into the "gut cooler" to await pickup by the rendering guy.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:D I've been using up freezer meats for a little while now, our steer will be going to the processor in a couple of weeks - we only own half of it.
The processor will be done cutting and packaging on Feb 10th I think is the date!

I'm going to ask for a variety of meat cuts, but I also want some with Bone in, nothing like a good stew with the bones in the pot as well.
All other bones I'll aslo ask for, to make stock and raw for my dog.

As far as organ meat goes I'm looking into that, we'll use the liver for sure, and Kidneys I've eaten before in "steak and kidney" pies.
I'm thinking my dog can have the heart, I'm just not sure about anything else. (anyone?) tongue?
I don't want to be wastefull or have them destroy some part that even my dog can eat and enjoy. I also don't want to see too much "yukkie" stuff... :gig
Wildsky - check out old cookbooks for organ meat recipes - old, like 70's and before. I have a stuffed heart recipe from a cookbook written in the early 70's; one of the authors was a friend of my mother's, and she (the author) suggested that I try heart. I liked it, hubby didn't, so I haven't done it since :/. I would though, if I ever find heart again. I'll post it in the recipe section. I would imagine that it would also be good ground up, and added to meatloaf - start with a little, and move up to "tolerance level" :lol:. And I know that back in the "old days", before canned pet food, some of the more obscure organ meats (lungs, spleen, etc.) were given away, or sold for very little, as pet food.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmFresh, thanks for starting this thread; I've been thinking that this is the year to clean out the freezers, and find a source for good meat, and am glad for all the expert advice.
Another one of my old books that might be interesting to some reading this thread is called "Cutting Up in the Kitchen - the butcher's guide to saving money on meat and poultry", by Merle Ellis - Chronicle Books 1975. The author was a butcher, and does a really good job of explaining various cuts, and how to buy a larger piece, and cut it up yourself, among other things. I found this first in the library, but bought it when I saw it in a second hand shop. http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Up-Kitchen-Merle-Ellis/dp/0877010714

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:pop I am reading this with great interest as I have never taken the plunge and always buy after someone has already done all the work. We are hoping to trade turkey and lamb in the future.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Wildsky, I've never processed anything but chickens, but I do have a suggestion for the cow's tongue!
Ever had tacos de lengua? They are marvelous! You can usually order them at any Mexican restaurant that is staffed by Mexicans. They won't be on the menu, but they make them for the staff and they'll serve it if you ask, because as one guy at my fave place told me, "We miss food from home"
The tongue is boiled for ever in a huge pot with lots of herbs. It is diced up and served on little soft corn tortillas, and you then add cilantro, onions, lime juice, and tomatillo salsa.
Heaven!
I have cooked cow tongue at home, and I did something wrong. It tasted like...cow tongue! Not the rich meaty flavor of what I'd had before, but stinky and digestive-tracty. So I have no cooking advice, but I reccommend the cut :p
When I cook a beef tongue, I boil it for about an hour in a light brine, pull it out and after it has cooled enough to handle, I "peel" it to get a the grainy surface flesh off and slice it about a 1/4 inch thick. I then finish it off in the oven for another half hour or so, in a red wine. After that you can either eat it as is, save it for sandwich meat, or even fry it up later.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
When I cook a beef tongue, I boil it for about an hour in a light brine, pull it out and after it has cooled enough to handle, I "peel" it to get a the grainy surface flesh off and slice it about a 1/4 inch thick. I then finish it off in the oven for another half hour or so, in a red wine. After that you can either eat it as is, save it for sandwich meat, or even fry it up later.
That's a good idea... I was going to ask the neighbours if they use the beef tongues, my dad loves them but usually buys them pickled in jars... I had no idea what to do with fresh ones, but the red wine sounds great.

I remember being so grossed out as a kid by watching my grandmother peel the taste buds off the tongues to eat them...

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love the red wine idea! I did peel mine, of course, but something was off in the boil. I will try this next time.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Wildsky said:
I don't want to be wastefull or have them destroy some part that even my dog can eat and enjoy. I also don't want to see too much "yukkie" stuff... :gig
Wildsky - check out old cookbooks for organ meat recipes - old, like 70's and before. ... start with a little, and move up to "tolerance level" :lol:. And I know that back in the "old days", before canned pet food, some of the more obscure organ meats (lungs, spleen, etc.) were given away, or sold for very little, as pet food.
I invite both of you to check out a previous thread It sounds Offal-ly good to me! and PLEASE add your variety meat recipes to the thread for easy referral!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Please post this one on the offal thread as well!