Caged chickens may come up for vote in OR and WA

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://www.kpic.com/news/local/120696844.html

The chickens arent tightly packed in and they can move around. Each cage is about four square feet and holds eight hens.
Aren't they the lucky birds! 4 sq. feet all for themselves (and 7 close friends :()

I know that the "cage free" alternative isn't a whole lot better for the birds, but it is still a step in the right direction, so I think I know how I will vote if it gets on the ballot.
Interesting that the Egg Producer says it will cost millions, and the Humane Society spokesman claims that the egg industries own studies say it is only about a penny an egg more. Still, with the volume of eggs produced, maybe those two statements don't really conflict :hu

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thats not the "real" humane society. those darn guys are the ones who are going on a jihad against many animal-product farming practices. they are NOT the groups in your local community trying to place abandoned animals

their sole purpose is to get rid of any animal farming and get everyone to be vegetarians.

right now in our state they are trying to get such "ethical practices" into law such as having "no other animals" around when dairy goats are kidding.

umm.. i'm an animal and i think i should be there. and so are my hens..and sometimes they are pecking around or laying an egg near the goats. or what if Debbie had her babies at nite with the other goats?

this fake "humane society" (really a lobbying group) are also the ones who are gonna come and fine me $5000 for the first offense - right now it would be because the goats have to step in mud to go outside... we are having the worst rains in april on record but that wouldnt matter.

if i were you i'd run those guys out of your state on a rail before they tell you what you can and cant do in your own yard. dont think it would affect you? do your research VERY closely before you pitch in with that group.

should animal be humanely raised? heck yeah - but it shouldnt be decided on by those guys.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Theyre really proposing a pretty extreme measure, I think, to try to put Oregon farmers out of business, Satrum said.

Yes! The Humane Society of the U.S. is totally not affiliated with any local animal shelter. This group is against anyone raising animals for food. I would not support them in any way.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
These guys were oustside a store the other day collecting signatures here in Washington. He was pretty upset that I woudn't sign his petition. He had all sorts of ugly photos of mistreated caged chickens. "oh! Poor chicken!" People were signing left and right. They tell you this just puts it on the ballot so people have a choice. But what he doesn't tell you is all the other crap that get's slid in with it, that our "educated voters" know nothing about - and they'll all vote for it because "oh! The poor chicken!"

I told him that I raised my own chickens just for that reason but I still wasn't going to sign his petition. What people don't understand is that these laws aren't designed to "save chickens". They're created to impose restrictions on everyone who raises chickens - including those that raise just a few hens in their back yard. And it will be much farther reaching than just chickens. People are going to "oh, poor chicken" themselves into no freedoms what so ever. But as long as it saves the chickens, right?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and another thing...;.

first after all y'all have to bail me, java, and ksalvango out of the poke for having mud in our yards....

they are also proposing (in our state) that i cant give my goats shots, or disbud them - without a vet. at that point i cant afford them. so i'm either a 'farm pirate' and breakin' the law.. or i become a burden to the state b/c we cant farm for ourselves - to feed ourselves.

and when all the farms go under we're gonna get our food from.. China?

sheesh!

sekinkead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
and another thing...;.

first after all y'all have to bail me, java, and ksalvango out of the poke for having mud in our yards....

they are also proposing (in our state) that i cant give my goats shots, or disbud them - without a vet. at that point i cant afford them. so i'm either a 'farm pirate' and breakin' the law.. or i become a burden to the state b/c we cant farm for ourselves - to feed ourselves.

and when all the farms go under we're gonna get our food from.. China?

sheesh!
I will be right there with you! My poor chickens are walking around in mud, mud, mud right now. But, they are having a dandy of a time digging up worms! Heck they don't even have to dig right now, they all just stand in a circle waiting...

In all seriousness, be very careful supporting these guys and do your research.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, you have all convinced me to look into a bit closer :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'll be preachin' it from the Big House if them no-goodnicks get their way!

the scene:
OFG in federal lock up in with the murderers, drug deals, and wet-goat-owners.

java, in "federal orange" and shackles comes into the yard....

OFG: Java! what happened! did they finally get you?
Java: yep, my neighbors called The Man on me
OFG: for what?
Java: muddy duck
OFG: dang girl, thats like a life sentence. here, join the crew i'll getcha a "Farm Pirate" tattoo...

both sing "no body knows the troubles i've seen......"

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i'll be preachin' it from the Big House if them no-goodnicks get their way!

the scene:
OFG in federal lock up in with the murderers, drug deals, and wet-goat-owners.

java, in "federal orange" and shackles comes into the yard....

OFG: Java! what happened! did they finally get you?
Java: yep, my neighbors called The Man on me
OFG: for what?
Java: muddy duck
OFG: dang girl, thats like a life sentence. here, join the crew i'll getcha a "Farm Pirate" tattoo...

both sing "no body knows the troubles i've seen......"
:lol: