Calendula - Son may have Tourette's

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She has refused food so far, but I am going to try and get her to eat again when I get home. I am thinking of mixing her feed with water and seeing if she'll take that. They absolutely love worms, so maybe I could tempt her with one? I'm hoping she'll eat something, because you can tell she's lost a lot of weight since Friday, poor girl.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Have you put some ACV in with her water if she's taking liquids? What about blending up some veggies and oatmeal into a really soupy mix and putting it in her mouth via dropper?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, I haven't tried ACV. How much do you put in? That veggie/oatmeal mix is a great idea, I think I will try that. Thank you!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a formula? If it were my chicken I'd say maybe a tablespoon in a cup of warm water. But maybe someone else will chime in with something more official.

Do you have her in the house? Warm but not stuffy, free of drafts, dark and quiet. We stuck our rooster in a cardboard box with a few holes and draped a towel over the top.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
calendula said:
lorihadams said:
Get yourself a handgun darlin' and next time shoot first and call the police later. You have the right to shoot a dog that goes after your livestock.
Believe me, I thought of getting our gun! But we live in the city, and it's illegal to fire a gun in the city limits. I don't think airguns are illegal to shoot in the city though. I should dig the bb gun out.
What if you say it is self-defense?

I wonder if concealed carry will trump city ordinance come November?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have raised a LOT of wild bird babies and nursed a LOT of chickens back to health with egg yolks and dog food ground up to a flour consistency.

Once you have the dog food powdered mix in enough egg yolks and a bit of water to make a thick yet moist paste. Pry open the beak and shove some down.

You can also mix a bit of Gatorade with water for electrolytes.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If the chicken dies, there's something called "triple indemnity" when someone's livestock is killed by dogs. Figure out what the market value of a good laying hen is, and triple it. It might be enough money to give the dog owner pause...

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your chickies. We've lost several to hawks and it's always such a traumatic event finding them.
Thinking about you and hoping justice will be served.:(

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Or baby vitamins in the water or food, too.

Actually the pellet gun isn't a bad idea. If you pop the dogs one time, they may not come back as they'll associate your place with 'I'm gonna get hurt'.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the advice and ideas! :hugs Last night I was short on time, so I just added some water to her feed until it was soupy and kind of had to force feed her with a dropper. I had to make her drink as well--I think she is very dehydrated. But, she's still alive and kicking as of this morning, though still not getting around much, and not trying to eat or drink on her own from what I can see.

We ended up moving her away from the other 2 hens she normally lives with and putting her in with Polly, our new hen, because one of them is starting to pick on her. I'm thinking that I might just move her into the house like framing fowl suggested, I can get a big box from work to keep her in. Tonight I'm going to make a mash for her to eat, and I will definately add the egg yolk. I don't have any dog food though, but I have cat food, not sure if that's a good substitute?

Rhettsgreygal, our city council has talked about addressing the concealed carry law in the city ordinances, but I'm not sure if they ever got anything hammered out. I know my husband is talking about getting a concealed carry permit, but I don't think I will. I have fired his handgun, and it's pretty big and heavy (but it was awesome shooting it!), so I would need a smaller one if I really wanted to actually accurately hit anything. I did find our bb gun however, so if those dogs come back, they will get shot in the behind (if my aim is true enough :lol: )! I still have no clue whose dogs they were, and they haven't been back since that I've seen--knock on wood.

But, on a better note, my soaked-flour bread that I made last night turned out great! It has a couple tablespoons of millet in it, which gives it a nice little crunch, very yummy. I think I will post the recipe when I get the chance.