Calling all duck experts

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Could you please give me the SS lowdown on raising ducks? I have Welsh Harlequin ducklings coming this week and got confused over at BYC because everybody has a different *strong* opinion on everything! :he
So can I put them on chick feed? I've never seen duckling feed...:hu
What other foods should I give them to start off?
We will be brooding them in a kiddie pool, no problems there. Are the temp needs just like chicks?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haave scovies and i started them on Purina duck starter. Then I switched them to chicken food. Right now I have three broody, and when these eggs hatch, they will be eating my chicken food, since there is no way I can separate feeds for the chickens and ducks. I know there is something called angel wing that you want to avoid, and it is food related, but I never had an issue with what I fed. I'm sure wifezilla will be around shortly, she is well versed in duck rearing.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mine eat chicken food as adults. I can't remember what I fed them as babies. :rolleyes: I know what you mean about all the opinions.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I know what you mean about all the opinions.
i was just saying this to someone.....

anyway

ducklings = easy peasy

1. go to tractor supply
2. buy their dumor brand chick feed (its non-medicated chick feed which is what you want)
3. brood as chicks.. i'm sure someone can volunteer the appropriate temp but as with chicks - if they are all huddled up they are cold and need a warmer light, if they are hugging the outside of the pool they are too hot
4. grass clippings are just fine as snacks but they really dont need anything else
5. lots of water and remember they need to get their faces in the water to clean out their nostrils

when they are racing around like crazy beings let 'em loose in the yard, fill up the kiddie pool, pour yourself a drink and be the duckling lifeguard.

train them early, tho, to go in at night or you'll have a brawl on your hands

pix when you get them!
:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey wait!! I have a very strong opinion about this... :rant

Just kidding, I agree with everyone else. :) :gig Congratulations! :celebrate nothing more cute than baby ducks!

I could be mistaken but I think my ducks were started on an organic chick (chicken) feed...non medicated.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am the one that gets everyone riled up. I feed game bird starter :D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wife - I don't think I have even seen game bird starter. What's the difference about it that you like?

Thanks everyone! That clears things up nicely for me and since I "know" you all pretty well, I can trust your advice.

BBH - :lol:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now the people over at BYC have this thing about high protein and angel wing - is that what really causes it?
And when do you all stop the starter feed and transition to flock raiser or whatever you use?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
the angel wing is wifezilla's battle, she will set you straight. I don't know all the details about it, but when I first got my ducks, I read posts on angel wing and wifey's posts set it straight.