Calling all duck experts

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Now the people over at BYC have this thing about high protein and angel wing - is that what really causes it?
No. A lot of people believe it does though.

Logically it doesn't make sense. In the wild ducks eat insects, fish, and greens. Their spring diet is high in protein. The cases of angel wing appear in places where ducks are fed bread or commercial feed. Bread is not loaded with protein. Commercial feed is loaded with corn and soy. So how do you jump to "protein causes angel wing"?

"When wild ducks are fed human food (especially bread or crackers) their organs become engorged and fatty, which can cause them to suffer from heart disease, liver problems and other health complications. Bread also has very few nutrients, and can get compacted in a bird's crop. Many rehabilitators see "bread-impacted crop" in sick and distressed park ducks.

Waterfowl at artificial feeding sites are often found to suffer from poor nutrition. In a natural setting they will seek out a variety of nutritious foods such as aquatic plants, natural grains, and invertebrates. Bread is very low in protein, contains additives that wildfowl aren't built to cope with, and it's a very poor substitute for natural foods. Ducklings fed bread miss out in vital nutrients during their critical first few weeks, causing splay leg, angel wing, slipped tendons and other growing defects."
http://duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html

"When a young bird eats calorie-dense, nutritionally poor foods like bread the growth of its feathers outpaces the development of its wing bones. Gravity pulls the heavy feathers down, and the growing bones twist outward, resulting in a syndrome known as Angel Wing. Bandages and physical therapy can correct the condition in young birds, but it is incurable in adults, and affected birds lose the ability to fly.

Parks and Recreation Horticulture Supervisor, Steve Nittolo, has spent several months working on ways to improve water quality in city park ponds. It all goes back to the public dumping bread into park ponds believing they are helping feed the wild ducks, when instead they are really harming them, Nittolo said."
http://www.spokanecity.org/services/articles/?ArticleID=1850

More...
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008518282_birdjunkfood15m.html

Cutting protein in ducks only helps save money. It really isn't a big help for the bird. The fact that they can live with it doesn't mean it is optimal. After a few generations is when poor quality low protein feed becomes more of a problem. Fertility, health, etc... are all effected. If you are just raising birds to market weight, you wont notice the bad effects on your animals and it might be worth the risk for you.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey i have a strong opinion about this too!
;-)

i dont think it has one hoot to do with food

our Miss Ducks sometimes has one or two babies with angel wing and they all eat the same thing, all have the same exercise, all same same same same same

my personal, inexperienced, completely amateur observation is it has to do with genetics more than anything.

* steps back and lets the fight begin *

just kiddin!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
LOL

No fight. Genetics plays a role.

Some ducks are more susceptible.

Genetics loads the gun...diet pulls the trigger.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: you guys are funny!

Hmmm, very interesting stuff. I was wondering why maybe one duck out of a bunch would get it and how that could possibly be from what they are eating.
I certainly feel more at ease about it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I think if diet plays a role, it'd be too LOW of a protein content, not too high. My turkey was eating a lower protein and it ended up with angel wing.
Anyways, I'm certainly no expert, but chicken starter is the way to go. Don't waste money if the duck feeds are so much more expensive, so long as the protein content is the same and there is NO MEDICATION in it.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I can't even find waterfowl food in my area. I have been trying to get this stuff but my region doesn't carry it....
http://www.spicerbirdfarm.com/spicerfeed.html

Read the ingredient list. This stuff sounds awesome (as far as commercial feed goes). One of the BYC people knows this guy and recommends this.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heres a thought.. I have one duck in particular whose wings are too big for her body. She doesn't have angel wing and she can fly (well as far as buff orpingtons can fly LOL) but it appears her wings are too big! She's always having to hitch them up and the tips overlap when they're on her back. Strange or what?