Camp Chef Cast Iron

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Camp Chef cast iron cookware is American made..?

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Baymule & Sufficientforme.....Yes, i know about Lodge cast iron and own several nice pieces.I look for US made cast iron at yard sales locally.I just recently noticed Camp Chef cast iron for sale (on the Chuckwagon site) and it didn't mention if it was imported or US made, thous my question.Not only don't i want my money going to China like you baymule, its my understanding that the chinese made cast iron is real junk.I'm also sick of them poisoning our child with their toxic imported toys(paint).When they couldn't sell their toxic honey directly to America, they imported it to the USA via Australia....I have no use for the evil products of China...In fact, i think they are engaged in a toxic kind of warfare to make Americans ill..They have imported countless harmful products to the USA.I sure don't believe they aren't aware of this...! Thats why i don't buy Chinese stuff, no matter how low the price...

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
Thanks Baymule & Sufficientforme.....Yes, i know about Lodge cast iron and own several nice pieces.I look for US made cast iron at yard sales locally.I just recently noticed Camp Chef cast iron for sale (on the Chuckwagon site) and it didn't mention if it was imported or US made, thous my question.Not only don't i want my money going to China like you baymule, its my understanding that the chinese made cast iron is real junk.I'm also sick of them poisoning our child with their toxic imported toys(paint).When they couldn't sell their toxic honey directly to America, they imported it to the USA via Australia....I have no use for the evil products of China...In fact, i think they are engaged in a toxic kind of warfare to make Americans ill..They have imported countless harmful products to the USA.I sure don't believe they aren't aware of this...! Thats why i don't buy Chinese stuff, no matter how low the price...
Now I realise I maybe very unpopular in making these remarks (especially as I am an outsider member of this forum) but although I sincerely respect your right to choose where you buy your utensils from, I would like to point out that the US (along with a lot of other countries, including my own) has used China as a dumping ground for it's own hazardous waste for many years. I quote from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10846395

" the US, which has not ratified the Basel Convention, is "way behind" Europe on e-waste, and estimates that as much as 80% of American e-waste is exported, much of it to China through the port of Hong Kong."

Not everything from China is bad or poisonous or of bad quality. We need balance in everything.....I believe.....:)

Hattie

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I appreciate both sides - I am American and prefer to buy American-made goods for many items, but my DH is European (Italian) AND an economics buff and he always points out things like comparative advantage and stuff like that.

However, just because my country's policies are stupid and we have used other countries as dumping grounds, doesn't mean I want to import more crap. And China has been the most egregious violator of basic safety/quality standards in the recent past - after all, they're poisoning their own kids as well. Until they've overcome the quality-control issues, I would prefer to not buy from them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I asked for and got the Lodge reversible griddle for Christmas. I am in griddle heaven.

It came with a little book that shows all of the Lodge products. Talk about a wish list!!!

g

On the import export/ topic.... Wouldn't be amazing if each continent took care of itself. Nothing coming and going. That would sure teach everyone to use what they have and value it. Americans would sure have a wake up call. Ok that's all I have to say.

:D

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I appreciate both sides - I am American and prefer to buy American-made goods for many items, but my DH is European (Italian) AND an economics buff and he always points out things like comparative advantage and stuff like that.

However, just because my country's policies are stupid and we have used other countries as dumping grounds, doesn't mean I want to import more crap. And China has been the most egregious violator of basic safety/quality standards in the recent past - after all, they're poisoning their own kids as well. Until they've overcome the quality-control issues, I would prefer to not buy from them.
I totally appreciate your point of view......after all I prefer not to buy many US products which are made & marketed by companies who I don't trust, say in the agricultural area .... ;) , but I don't blanket all US companies as being suspect, dishonest & most of all, evil.
I am just suggesting a little more research rather than blanket statements. I am sure there are probably as many suspect businesses in most countries. We (well I) don't all scapegoat them & turn them into objects of evil.

Hattie

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
AnnaRaven said:

I totally appreciate your point of view......after all I prefer not to buy many US products which are made & marketed by companies who I don't trust, say in the agricultural area .... ;) , but I don't blanket all US companies as being suspect, dishonest & most of all, evil.
I am just suggesting a little more research rather than blanket statements. I am sure there are probably as many suspect businesses in most countries. We (well I) don't all scapegoat them & turn them into objects of evil.

Hattie
Well - I do consider corporations in general to be a really bad invention (so did Adam Smith!) but other than that, I agree that no country has a free pass on having suspect companies. Look at the egg recalls right here in the US this summer?

OTOH - I would rather buy rice from somewhere that has plenty of water *naturally* and grassfed beef from a place where there was plenty of grass *naturally* and wine from somewhere it grows well *naturally*. I do believe that competitive advantage exists - just because someone *can* grow x or manufacture y in their country, doesn't mean they *should*. After all, that land or space might be better used for a more productive enterprise.

So I'm not a complete convert of the "locavore" movement. I'm also not really a nativist. Oranges just don't grow well in Minnesota. Corn, otoh, grows great there. Let's grow oranges here in California and corn up north. Rice belongs in a place like the mississippi delta, not in the central valley of california where water had to be piped in from Oregon!
I also buy many imported foods from Italy, because terroir matters. Some foods just don't taste the same grown or produced in other regions.

Anyways - not arguing against "buy local" or supporting your own manufacturing base, just don't believe it's necessarily always the best choice; otoh, being aware of where your stuff comes from is never a bad idea!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
While it is true no country isn't guilty of doing something not nice,( including the USA) it seems China in the last few yrs has sent way to many toxic toys to American children. My evil comment would be more directed to the goverment than a company.They knowingly sent banned toxic honey to America a few yrs back via Australia,i say the chinese gov't was very aware of this, IMO...
I'm sure their are plenty of good products made in China, i just perfer to play it safe and avoid their stuff and support my fellow Americans.
I also drive right by BP gas stations, because if they hadn't taken short cuts to improve their bottom line, we wouldn't have had the Gulf oil disaster.I'm not picking on the Brits, i also drive right by Exxon gas stations because of the Valdez disaster in Alaska, Exxon failed to take responsibilty for ruining the lives of hundreds of fisherman's families. The courts recently ruled in Exxons favor, crooked judge....you decide...it's all sickening....
So as not to turn this into something not intended, i've said my piece, we all share the blame for things not good in our world. As Forrest Gump says " And thats all i have to say about that."