Can anyone help identify this greedy bug?

John_henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
5061_black_bug.jpg

We've been getting loads of these greedy little bugs eating up everything they can. I have no idea what they are or how to get rid of them. The only natural pesticides I know comprise of chilli's, garlic and tobacco. I did recently have wood ash and vinegar suggested to me, but I haven't tried that yet.

Any ideas??

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Japanese beetle? They aren't supposed to be very destructive in Japan, because they have natural predators over there, but then Japan has been through a lot ecologically speaking the past year that could have done something to the natural predator population.

The larval stage is a grub worm, maybe try to eradicate them at that stage. :hu I have never had a real problem with them myself, so....I can't help you on how to get rid of them.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That does look like a Japanese beetle to me, although mine are more of a shiny black-green. I caught a generous half gallon of beetles just yesterday in the pheremone trap. At this rate, I'll have 10 gallons before the season is over!! I put them in the freezer for chicken treats in the winter. I read or heard somewhere that the pheremone traps actually attract more beetles from neighboring areas, and I have a feeling that is true. I'm pretty sure if I had the thousands of beetles that I caught, roaming around my property looking for food, I would have mass destruction.And I don't, at least not yet!:hide So they must head straight for the trap, without stopping at the gardens. OK by me!!!:clap You can get the pheremone trap at any lawn-garden store or big-mart. Cost about 7 bucks.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't think it's a Japanese beetle-the wings don't look right. I was thinking a flea beetle, but it looks too big. I'm not sure when I put my entomology text book, so I can't even ask you any questions to help you ID it. :(

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It didn't even register to me that the OP is in Japan. He probably has lots of different bugs there than I have in MO. :/

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cant really judge size but the leaf damage COULD be from a leaf miner and that is a huge family. Sorry I can't help more.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I found my entomology text book. If you're willing to answer some questions, I may be able to help. From the appearance, I'd say it's some type of beetle, but there are several different kinds.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well it looks like the same bug! kinda. :)

Latest posts