Can chickens move eggs??

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
This flock of Barred Rocks and Golden Buffs I have, started laying about a month ago. As per N.O.P. they started out slow, with only 1 or 2 laying, and the rest are slowly starting in. I have 10 hens, no rooster. I have 4 laying boxes that I can access from the outside. Almost ALL of the eggs I had been getting were laid in the same box.
So, when a couple of the "up and comers" started giving me those itty bitty pullet eggs, I saved a couple and put them in the other laying boxes as an incentive for them to use the other boxes.
This evening I go check for eggs, and one of the little pullet eggs was missing. I looked for yoke or bits of shell and found nothing. As I am leaving, I happen to look outside the coop, and there, under the walkway, but in the run, was the missing pullet egg! Would one of the hens roll that egg out of the box, across the coop and down the ramp to get rid of it?? The egg is still in perfect condition with no peck marks. There are NO tunnels or dig spots where something else had gotten in or out. This egg had to have dropped a couple of ft without breaking.

ANYONE else ever had this happen to them????

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I think you're losing it...:D
Actually, chickens will tuck eggs under their wings and move them around. This happens more with a broody wanna be.
She will gather eggs from other nests to add to her collection.

And I have observed this being done. Not making it up.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i've seen chickens tuck eggs under their chins and waddle them over whereever they wanna be. one of my broodies is pretty good at figuring out which of her own eggs are duds, and she takes them outside to get them out of the nest. it's kind of amazing.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HAHA!! I'll have to watch ours to see if any of the girls every does that....how funny!!!!!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I learn something new everyday!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well I been watching mine forever...I've never seen them moving eggs around, I've only seen this......

162_funny-hen.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My hens do move eggs around when broody. When one silkie goes broody they all decide to get broody. They fight over the eggs. But, I have never had them move the eggs that far. Sounds more like a squirrel or possibly a rat to me. Squirrels go into my chicken house all the time to steal the food from the feeder and occasionally an egg.