CAN I CAN CHICKEN SOUP WITH COLLARD GREENS IN IT ??

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made a pretty large pot of chicken soup today, just finished cooking(4:30pm). I wasn't intending on canning this, i just like to eat alot of homemade chicken soup when the weather starts cooling..
Anyway, when i find a good deal at the store or have it around the garden sometimes i'll put kale ,but uaually parsley. Today i found a good deal at the store and bought/used some collard greens in my chicken soup...
My question to those seasoned canners or those who just know pretty much for sure, is there any problem with canning something like this.? I'm thinking maybe some kind of an acid problem or whatever related to canning. I have carrots,onion, celery, garlic,chicken and seasoning..It's not a really thick, dense soup, like Campells(spelling) chucky soup..I think it would be okay to can,but not sure about the collard greens being in there,i would pressure can for 1 1/2 hr at 10lbs pressure..
Thanks for any advise ...Kevin

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Collard greens aren't going to change anything, go right ahead :) Acidity is not much of an issue for pressure-canning things (and you WILL have to pressure-can soup), it's more a matter of how much thick solid matter there is. Do whatever your reference of choice suggests for chicken soup and it'll be fine :)

Pat

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your soup sounds good. I love to make soup when it gets cool out too. I made big batch of bean and ham soup on Sunday, but around here it does not last too long!!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat...I'm glad you posted when you did, as i decided to "go for it" and i'll be done canning it at 7:30 this eve..
I'm doing seven qts. of soup now and did 14 qts of canned chicken earlier today. My local supermarket had them on sale for $.99 lb, theigh and breast...so i decided to can some. Around here split chicken breast is usaully about 2.50lb and theighs 1.69lb, so if i can get them cheap i can for a rainy day..
Since i'm out of work and looking for work, i've had extra time to find sales and can. I guess the reason i'm canning is i'm not that confident in the way were going as a nation. I also like the idea of just being able to do more for myself, i have 30 laying hens, no meat birds.
I may very well end up making more soup with the 21 leghorns and just keeping my 10 N H Reds...I can't afford to feed them all for the winter. I got them all this early summer and only one NHR has started laying 2 wks ago...I hate to bucther the birds, but unless i find work soon, i have no choice...
Sorry for rambling, i guess its just on my mind...thanks again Pat...:) Kevin

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks as well Nuggetsower and Newchickwi...:) Kevin

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kevin

so sorry about the work being hard to come by....these times are certainly trying.

but with the knowledge of canning etc. you are doing a great thing taking care of that pantry. Buy on sale cheap and stock up and can. YUMMO on the soup!

It is sad when you want layers to produce, but if you need, those birds turn into meat birds real fast...LOL...beauty of a farm with useful animals.

Hope times pick up for you and work is on the horizon! :)