Can I fix 'rubber' jelly?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made grape jelly a couple days ago. Tried and failed. I didn't have a full box of pectin, as I usually add a tsp extra whenever I make jelly to make sure it sets up.
So, the box was missing 2 tsp (at least I wrote that on the box!), so I decided to make 2/3 of a batch to be on the safe side. Well, now it's rubber. I mean, you can bounce this stuff on the floor.

Can I reheat it, hopefully melt it and add some juice? After boiling it for a minute, will it set up again? It's just 2 jars, and I didn't water bath it as we go through it pretty fast.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes. Pectin is just a carbohydrate, so it will still work if you re-heat the jelly.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since making my big mistake- too much fruit, I have learned a lot! On the paperwork in the sure-jel, it says you can just mix grape juice into your too firm jam- and it will thin out...Good luck! At least you didn't do it with 22 quarts of strawberries!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Yes. Pectin is just a carbohydrate, so it will still work if you re-heat the jelly.
Only up to a point. If you heat it too hot or too long it starts to disassemble the pectin and you lose it. So it is important to cook the jam only as long as necessary and not longer.

(Although in this circumstance, I suppose if you started to 'kill' the pectin by overcooking it would still be change in the right direction :))

Pat

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes. You can ruin geletin that way, too.

I think sugar concentration is important, too, for pectin to function properly.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lesa said:
Since making my big mistake- too much fruit, I have learned a lot! On the paperwork in the sure-jel, it says you can just mix grape juice into your too firm jam- and it will thin out...Good luck! At least you didn't do it with 22 quarts of strawberries!
I am having one of those days where EVERYTHING is going wrong, so I think I'll wait 'til tomorrow to try to fix the rubber jelly. :/ I'll have to actually read the instructions, eh? Good thing I picked up a couple more boxes of pectin today so I have something to read.

That almost sounded weird...:lol:

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I still haven't fixed all mine...tomorrows another day! Good luck!

Latest posts