Can I freeze bags of milk? (canadian Q)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Like the title sez :) I have wound up with more homo milk than I need at the moment, can I freeze 1 or 2 bags or will they explode/leak? I've only ever done it in american plastic or cardboard cartons before

Thx,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have never done it. Thought about it-yes, esp one time when no frills had milk due that day-selling for 1/2 price. But I found myself in the same dilemma as you. There is headspace, so there is room to expand, so it might work. What if you put a bag of milk in a freezer bag, just incase it did explode?

And let me know how it works, if you do decide to try. If you don't--you could always make ricotta. I heard it tasted better if the milk is close, or slightly past expiration.

Good luck!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pat
I don't have a clue. Is there enough expanding space in that bag?

you can secure it. Put it in a plastic container like tupperware, then into the fridge. Real fast you will know when froze if it survived or not. But being in that tupperware keeps you from a monster mess if it blows.

hope that helps some??

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My mom used to freeze milk all the time, and I do on occassion...like if we aren't using it fast enough. I don't like it much after freezing for drinking...it sometimes kind of curdles...but for baking it is great. It won't explode:>)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
If you don't--you could always make ricotta. I heard it tasted better if the milk is close, or slightly past expiration.
Good luck!
You're kidding. REALLY?? Gee. Hm. I had actually GOTTEN the milk to make ricotta in the first place :p and then flooding and ditch-digging and hay and stuff got in the way and now it's a week later and still no ricotta. I'd just sort of assumed it would be like mozzarella where it won't work right if it's not real fresh.

Hm.

Possibly I will make one of the little bags into ricotta, see what happens, make rice pudding with another, and freeze the third. I was going to try freezing it outside (in case of mess :p) but then I saw MorelCabin's post so I guess maybe Ill just put it in the freezer.

Thanks!

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I freeze milk. I have frozen cartons without making head space. They did not explode just expand. Here our gallons are plastic jugs, I have been told just to ake a bit out before freezing.