Can I freeze potato soup?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I've never tried freezing it. I made some last night and only have a little left (trying to use up potatoes and cooked several things) ... But I prefer to make soup in big batches and it would be nice to be able to pull a serving out and heat it up.

I peel and chunk up potatoes, boil them till softish. Drain almost all the water, add milk, cheeses, and (usually previously frozen) ham in tiny slices, along with garlic, onion, and a few spices and salt. It's a thick soup, and very thick as it cools.

So do you think I could make a big batch and freeze it? If I don't eat the leftover, I may try it, but this cooler weather really makes soup sound good and I still have 15 or so pounds of potatoes to immediately cook.

Thanks!!!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yes. Potato soup freezes very well. If you don't like mushy potatoes, just call it done when they are still a bit firm :)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool -- thank you very much!

This batch was a little firm anyway, but not enough left to freeze. I'll probably cook the rest of the potatoes up into soup today then, if I can find some more ham in the freezer (and I should have soup and pizza ham stashed away). :)

thanks again!