Can I freeze soup in mason jars?

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made a TON of chicken soup and don't have a pressure canner.

just wonderin'.....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If the jar bevels in t the top--no. the jar will crack once frozen. If the top is wider than the bottom, yes.

But.... Why not use containers made for freezing--big enough to hold a meals worth of food for the whole family. Canning jars are too expensive, imo, to use in the freezer, given they might lide around and crack.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I buy the Ziplock freezer bags and freezer cups. Only Ziplock. They really DON'T seem to break as often. :hu

I can reuse the cups a lot... but the plastic bags stack nicely... Just remember to leave the freezing expand space in the cups.

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
If the jar bevels in t the top--no. the jar will crack once frozen. If the top is wider than the bottom, yes.

But.... Why not use containers made for freezing--big enough to hold a meals worth of food for the whole family. Canning jars are too expensive, imo, to use in the freezer, given they might lide around and crack.
because I don't have any freezer bowls with lids. I was just looking for something i had around here.

I DO have lots of ziplock bags, (not the freezer kind tho')

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
If not freezer, double bag 'em.

You can reuse the outside bag, at the very least. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My favourite thing to freeze in is ice cream containers. Can't you put the soup in the fridge until you can get some reusable plastic containers? I froze in mason jars before, and it did not end well. :hit They cost too much to break.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Can you explain this more? I freeze in my mason jars all the time. Pint and quart. Dry goods, nuts, soups mushed bananas, mushed squashed.

I have never had any blow.

g

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
http://www.home-ec101.com/freezing-using-mason-jars/ I have put canning jars in the freezer--the regular ones that get narrow at the top and they have burst. I did leave enough headspace, i have also rearranged things in the freezer and had them bang against stuff and crack-with very slight provocation.

After having so much food wasted due to broken glass, i looked it up. Only jars that are wider at the top are safe fro freezing. It still doesnt help though it it bangs against something.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I freeze in canning jars, I only use the widemouth jars. And I pack them in a box with cardboard dividers or put something between the jars. I put them in the upright freezer so no one has to shift them around. They do take up more space than bags or containers, so I end up using both. But I prefer glass for the health benefits of using less plastic.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well maybe that explains it. I've lost several jars of chicken stock. It could be my fault :hu but they seem to tend most to break when I'm thawing them (and I just let them sit on the counter to thaw, or once I poured some warm -- not hot -- water over a partially-thawed jar sitting in the sink and it blew. These were all regular canning jars, not wide-mouth. But it's a big disappointment to lose your food AND your jar. It's all precious to me!

I don't like using plastic either, but I switched back to Ziplocs after having several break so far. Usually it's ok, but not always.