Can I make this a smoker for meat somehow?

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have this old fireplace just rusting away in my backyard. I love it and have been wanting to do something with it. Would it be possible to turn it into a small smoker somehow? Is there any way to clean up the rust? Any other ideas on what I could use it for? None of the parts to it are stuck... hinges work, the air vent flap thing (sorry, I don't know the correct term) opens and closes when the lever is pulled, etc...
3278_009.jpg

3278_010.jpg

Thank you for your thoughts!:)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sand blast it. Use it for out door social fires. It's a nice looking piece.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ditto. We have an old one, not nearly as nice as yours, and Iplan on putting it on my patio this summer. My hubby disagrees, as he likes the fire pit better. I say we can have both. :p

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you but that wouldn't make a very efficient smoker. It's not big enough, plus the flue is to big and in the wrong place, not to mention it is way small and the doors don't seal worth a hoot.

Keep using it as yard art.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with skr8pn it would work but to small better way is a CLEAN 55 gallon drum. I have a brinkman pitmaster that is OK around $250. Depending on what your smoking a cardboard box with a electric BBQ lighter works good.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Then again ... it could fetch a pretty penny if you sold it - even just as it is. Then you could turn the profits into a nice new smoker!

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. So I guess it won't be a smoker... and after talking to my husband about it I'm back to square one. He hates it too much to use it, but likes it too much to sell it. So I will have to work on him about doing something with it. In the meantime I will just dream about climbing in and traveling to Narnia... yeah, I know that was a wardrobe and not a fireplace but I'm pretty sure it would work. :p

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
stepstephens2 said:
In the meantime I will just dream about climbing in and traveling to Narnia... :p
I don't know about Narnia, but it certainly could get you transported to the "Ministry of Magic" with our good friend Harry Potter! :ya :lol:

I still say, sand blast it, paint it with fire-place black paint and enjoy it in the yard! :clap