Can I not get prepared soon enough?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I've been scrolling yahoo news this evening and found three news articles that just bothered me. One had the phrase 'global collapse', 'global meltdown' and then an article about how Israel is wanting to do some sort of battle with Iran thus dragging the US into it.

I still need to get our meats in. The chickens are getting butchered daily, the beef will be here in three weeks, rabbits are due to have their kits next week, then hopefully we will catch hams and turkeys on sale. Then I still to need to stock more flour, yeast, canned tomatoes, baking soda, and dry powder products like butter, milk, egg, etc. Plus more noodles and maybe some more canned veggies.

We are getting their however. Im looking forward to getting the dairy animal(s). I hope I can make them SS enough for us and making us more SS in the process. One good thing is we have finally got a good chicken flock started with good breeds, and a good herd of rabbits that suit the purpose. Plus I have lots of good 'SS' equipment that is handpowered.

Hopefully we will be ready when it comes! ALL of us!

:old :fl

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Don't panic BB...every October and November brings with it ths kind of news...and scares...because it is year end financing...and everybody seems to scramble, the stock markets go a little wacky...been happening for years. I've been watching it for years, and it used to scare me too.
It is sad to see someone as young as you are so worried, and I am not saying there is no reason to worry, because we are all waiting for the final ball to drop, but just trust that God will take care of those that love and serve Him. That is His promise. we can stand strong with the Lord, always keep that close to your heart...in the Bible it tells stories of Him being there with His people time and time again :) And you are definitely one of His

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I've been scrolling yahoo news this evening and found three news articles that just bothered me. One had the phrase 'global collapse', 'global meltdown' and then an article about how Israel is wanting to do some sort of battle with Iran thus dragging the US into it.

I still need to get our meats in. The chickens are getting butchered daily, the beef will be here in three weeks, rabbits are due to have their kits next week, then hopefully we will catch hams and turkeys on sale. Then I still to need to stock more flour, yeast, canned tomatoes, baking soda, and dry powder products like butter, milk, egg, etc. Plus more noodles and maybe some more canned veggies.

We are getting their however. Im looking forward to getting the dairy animal(s). I hope I can make them SS enough for us and making us more SS in the process. One good thing is we have finally got a good chicken flock started with good breeds, and a good herd of rabbits that suit the purpose. Plus I have lots of good 'SS' equipment that is handpowered.

Hopefully we will be ready when it comes! ALL of us!

:old :fl
There's a lot of SHUT out there right now. Personally I think some it is hitting the fan. We are seeing some of the splatter everday. I'm not to worried about Iran to much. I'm more concerned with domestic issues at this time. I think Syrian action is more likely. IMHO.

At the start of this past summer I went into hyper prep. I have been for yrs since 9/11 but this past summer I have put it in high gear. Selling off all NON essential items and converting to preps and paying off the rest of my debt. I've been bartering for a ton of stuff I need and want. I have actually bartered for almost all of my daughters Christmas.

Another things I have been working on is networking and alliances. I have come to finally reliaze I am not going to be prepared 100%. So I went and built these networks and alliances.

When you look at the whole picture of prepping you can get over welmed for sure. Step by step is my modo. :) Everyday I work towards SS and full prep is one day better than the last.

I do not work on Sunday!!! I live by this. Had a old friend ask if I can come over and do some electrical. I had to decline and told him "I don't work on Sunday's." He was stunned. He is a work aholic and has heart issues and a lot of stress. I told him Sunday is for God and my family. I'm not a major religious person but I do honor Sunday. :) I think the Amish have a lot fo things right.

I'm working towards slowing life down a few notches. Driving less. riding my bike more. Modern life is to NOW!! So in part of my prepping I am demodernizing. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...panic is not something Christians even have to consider. We don't have to prep for TEOTWAWKI or think that God won't take care of us in poor economic times. We have so many promises in the Scriptures that assure us of that care that I don't even give pause and think of preparing for such things any longer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is hard to tell someone not to go overboard....so I won't say that to you :p :lol:

I mean in the 'worried' dept of life. Truly most things you can not control. But one can be prepared....you are doing what you feel you want to do to combat these hard times. And you seem to be on your way to getting that level of preparedness you are desiring.

I stock items. I prepare for bad weather. I save money every step in life that I can...etc....but I also enjoy the hound out of life and take vacations and focus on fun.

Times will get harder, especially in the wallet. I see that happening definitey and all we can do is try to stay a step ahead but I hope it won't consume you.

I won't let it consume me...but that is my personality.

Like Fan mentioned, take that one day off for you...to relax and enjoy! It does help alot.

But from what you listed, you are doing well so that must give you some relief! :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im worried as in "O MY GOSH WERE GONNA DIE"

I think it is something to be concerned about though.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
life in general will always have concerns, either immediate or long distance or faraway happenings. that won't change.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think there is definitely a balance between "preparing for the unknown" and worrying unnecessarily. :)

I don't mean at all to belittle your current concerns, because I live in a different country and can't "feel" what you feel in your current climate. I hear the news daily (radio is on right now) and the European economic landscape changes hourly, and the "Arab spring" has completely changed the landscape of several countries--and who knows what their future alliances will be as they each work towards forming new permanent governing systems.

I prepare for what I can, and what I understand. For me, it's a barrier against potential loss of job and weather events (blizzards, power outage) and natural disasters (wild fires) that are possible in my area. For the more global issues, I pray and rely on my faith in God to pull everyone through. I know to some, that's not enough, but "His grace is enough" for me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Im worried as in "O MY GOSH WERE GONNA DIE"

I think it is something to be concerned about though.....
You are most definitely not alone, BB. The one thing I've learned about working hospice is this~very few people are prepared to die. Most of the terminally ill people I've taken care of were afraid of dying, right up until the last hours. They've had more time to get prepared than most and they still did not prepare for that one~the inevitable one.

I understand that many, many people are insecure about issues of life and death...for some reason that doesn't go away with age and acceptance just doesn't arrive.

This may be the one thing that people trying to prepare for this disaster or that one is missing....are you truly prepared for the natural end of your cycle of living? It is the one disaster that you are not going to be able to miss as it is not regional, not related to how much gold/silver you've stockpiled or even to how much food you have in an underground, bomb-proof bunker.

Living your life like you know you will one day lose it~ as everyone does~ is even more important than trying to build a life to survive living here on Earth.

I advocate preparing for how you will handle the one big thing that happens to us all. Once you've accomplished that and overcome that fear, then the rest seems very easy.

DollDoctor

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Living your life like you know you will one day lose it~ as everyone does~ is even more important than trying to build a life to survive living here on Earth.
Beekissed, thank you so much for this.

Z in Maine