Can somebody please 'splain this recipe for pickled garlic? :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Step 10 - Process for 20 minutes*
At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process the filled jars for 10 minutes* When processing time is complete, turn heat off and remove canner lid. When boil subsides - bubbles no longer rise to surface (3 to 5 minutes) - remove jars without tilting. Cool jars upright, undisturbed 24 hours. DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.

Note: This recipe was specially formulated to allow home canners to preserve a low acid food garlic in commonly available boiling water canners. Do not deviate from the recipe ingredients, quantities, jar size and processing method and time. Any change could affect the safety of the end product. *At altitudes higher than 1,000 ft (305 m) increase processing time as indicated in chart.

The chart below will help you determine the right processing time and pressure, if you have a different type of canner, or are above sea level. For most people, using a plain open water bath canner, the time will be 30 to 35 minutes. The Ball Blue book has a similar recipe that uses only 10 minutes, but I'll stick with the USDA's recommendation of 35 minutes for safety. You can use either a plain water bath canner OR a pressure canner, since the vinegar adds so much acidity.
I'm so confused!

p.s. I'm using pints.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I see what you mean. First it says 20 min water bath, then it says 10 minute water bath, then it says process 30-35 minutes in a water bath canner. And then it says to consult the chart for pressures and times with a pressurized canner and if you bother to look for the chart you cannot find one. With THAT much confusion I wouldn't trust any of it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You need an easier method.
Full a quart jar with fresh garlic.
Add 1/4 cup cultured whey, and 1 Tbls salt.
Water to cover.
Add a lid, leave on counter for 3 days, and then put in the fridge.
The garlic will stay fresh for months, and in fact, over time, the liquid will become garlic oil.

ETA, you can add any spices you like for flavor.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
yum! Ill do that next batch, these are for gifts...I dont wanna take any chances w/ friends that aren't into the whole joy of lacto fermenting. :p

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The biggest concern with garlic is botulism. So I'd be pretty careful about recipes to make sure you use the right acidity and amount of processing.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like you found a solution, the only thing I have to add is make sure you use a non reactive pan/utensils for them, I had blue garlic once :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
LOL! I read about that!

Well I used the first recipe and canned them for 25 minutes in my WBC. Every single one pinged, pray I did it right!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
yum! Ill do that next batch, these are for gifts...I dont wanna take any chances w/ friends that aren't into the whole joy of lacto fermenting. :p
Yeah, the uninitiated would probably freak out that it was not canned, and dump them in the trash :(

Latest posts