Can someone direct me to the post on how to make stevia extract

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crusty McPottydoodle said:
miss_thenorth, where does one get stevia seeds here in Canada?
I got mine at Walmart... but I paid $5.79 for a pack (which had 12 seeds in it) Only 2 of them actually sprouted and then very quickly dropped dead...

I'm guessing I'd be better off with started plants. :)

Most of our garden centers have trays of started herbs (stevia included)... I saw some at the nursery just yesterday.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but you got me wondering if I can drop my stevia leaves into the vodka like I do my mint leaves. I love the mint vodka in hot chocolate during the winter. Maybe I can use the stevia vodka in my coffee every morning.
After all - all I have ever heard is no drinking til after 5. Never heard if that was a.m. or p.m. So I can get up at 5:01 and start drinking coffee sweetened with my stevia mixture.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup I'm absolutley sure that no drinking before 5 means 5 am. So go for it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth, where does one get stevia seeds here in Canada?
www.richters.com usually carries the seeds but they are out of stock by this time of the year (I quick checked). They do have the plants still, though, or for seeds you could get some next winter before they run out.

Stevia seeds are reportedly hard to germinate with relatively low % success.

I just have a plant of it that I bought at Richters (they're only about 10 minutes down the road from me :p), it is interesting but I have not yet really figured out how to make optimal use of it and MAN does it ever grow slowly thus far.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I just have a plant of it that I bought at Richters (they're only about 10 minutes down the road from me :p),

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
It would only take me 2 days and 10 hours (according to google) for me to pop over to Richters to pick up some plants.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I haven't tried it but you got me wondering if I can drop my stevia leaves into the vodka like I do my mint leaves. I love the mint vodka in hot chocolate during the winter. Maybe I can use the stevia vodka in my coffee every morning.
After all - all I have ever heard is no drinking til after 5. Never heard if that was a.m. or p.m. So I can get up at 5:01 and start drinking coffee sweetened with my stevia mixture.
And it is always 5 pm somewhere in this world! Cheers!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I bought my Stevia seeds from MoutainRoseHerbs. 25 seeds to a pack I think. I planted most of them with no success (but I sent Sally some and I think she had one grow). The only luck I've had is with a live plant that I accidentally killed off when I brought it inside for the winter.. I wanted fresh yummy goodness all year round.. Guess that's a crime!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I just have a plant of it that I bought at Richters (they're only about 10 minutes down the road from me :p),

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
It would only take me 2 days and 10 hours (according to google) for me to pop over to Richters to pick up some plants.
Uh, they do mail-order, is the point... ;)

Pat