Can someone help me with a picture?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've been waiting all winter for spring violets to bloom so I can take pictures for my farm logo. For labels for my soaps and for our wines, nothing too serious, just something to play with on the computer.

Well, we are swimming in violets but I don't think my camera has the quality or ability to take a close up. I tried and tried. All very blurry. I have an image in mind.....a single, perfect blossom amidst green leaves. Or a single perfect blossom with a green leaf against a clear blue sky.

I decided on Blue Viola Farm for the name a few years ago when walking the dog one December morning during a strange warm spell. I spotted violets blooming in a protected spot in my pasture. I like plant names, and also kinda wanted a name I could take with me if we ever move.

Help?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
go to google images

type in violets and a million pics to choose come up --just save and use on your label the ones you like. you can experiment with different ones and pick the best you love and slap it on your labels.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
go to google images

type in violets and a million pics to choose come up --just save and use on your label the ones you like. you can experiment with different ones and pick the best you love and slap it on your labels.
Make sure if you are using for online or other advertising people in various places are going to see, don't just use a random photo without asking permission... or at least check that the photo doesn't have a copyright on it.

There are stock photography sites that have free photos to download (www.sxc.hu is one)... most don't have a copyright and will be higher quality than the ones you get from google.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I've been waiting all winter for spring violets to bloom so I can take pictures for my farm logo. For labels for my soaps and for our wines, nothing too serious, just something to play with on the computer.

Well, we are swimming in violets but I don't think my camera has the quality or ability to take a close up. I tried and tried. All very blurry. I have an image in mind.....a single, perfect blossom amidst green leaves. Or a single perfect blossom with a green leaf against a clear blue sky.

I decided on Blue Viola Farm for the name a few years ago when walking the dog one December morning during a strange warm spell. I spotted violets blooming in a protected spot in my pasture. I like plant names, and also kinda wanted a name I could take with me if we ever move.

Help?
Is your camera digital? If so, you should be able to get a clear BIG pic by using the MACRO setting (on most, the icon for this looks like a tulip). Then crop and resize on the computer. Good luck!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OH!!! I have that one! Gonna go try it! Thanks!!!!

I did use a google image this winter to make some fun labels for some wine for our own use, but I want to make a label for soap to sell and I won't use a "stolen" image. I want to make my own, that is just who I am! But a picture taken by a friend would be fun, too.

The violets are just insane this year. One of my paths in my perennial food garden came up all violets this year. Between the scallions and the oregano.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I like the name. Yes, try the macro setting on the camera. I would send you my pic, but it is of a violet poking out of the snow, not by itself.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I took a few pics then my batteries died....but I think I am on the right track now....thank you! I'll post my results or my renewed request for help by tomorrow! (Gotta go to work off-farm today...poo! :p )

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sure hope you are successful. Not only for you but I have also had difficulty getting in-focus closeups with our digital cam. I use the tulip icon and still closeups are a bit blurry. When I am doing genealogy studies I always wanted to take pics of pages of info. but none were ever clear enough to read later.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most point-n-shoot camera lenses cannot focus on anything closer to the lens than 3-4 feet, check your camera manual.

Best bet is to take a wider image, then crop in your photo editing software. Or rent/borrow a digital SLR with a macro lens or close-up lens filters.

Or google "stock photography" and pay the few cents that a stock image costs--good sites are Getty and istockphoto and they should both have a selection of violet images.

:) And, as a professional photographer I thank you most sincerely for wishing to do this legally, rather than "just taking an image" from "Google images". Especially as this image will be used in your packaging/marketing.

"Google images" is merely a search for online images that are tagged with your keyword/s--these are NOT royalty-free images. They belong to people who do not want you to steal them. These images are located on all kinds of websites and blogs, and have been created by average people, photographers, and the media. Every single one of these images is copyright protected unless it is listed as "public domain" (you can often use "public domain" images from wikipedia for educational and other purposes). Many professional photographers use an online service called "tin eye" to find copyright violators who steal their images, and they will do everything within the law to protect their work.

If you value your own property and belongings, please value the intellectual and artistic property of others and don't steal. :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The violets have exploded here too. I have a setting on my camera that should work. I'll give it a shot (pun intended) and email it to you. I have purple violets as well as white and purple. The truth is we have more violets than grass... :/