Can this bean recipe be canned?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I wonder if this recipe can be canned.

Ingredients are-

4 slices bacon (one inch pieces, cooked)
3 1/2 c chopped onion ( saut in bacon fat)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 15oz cans white beans drained (I am using dry and dehydrating them)
1 1/2 c root beer (cane syrup type not corn syrup)
3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
3 Tbs light molasses
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

What do you pro canners think?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't see why not. :)

I've Boston-style baked beans with lots of bacon in it and we're not dead.

Just make sure you don't overfill the jars with beans before you add the sauce, because they do expand during processing.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So do you think one inch of headspace in enough?

Any ideas how long and at what pressure? My book says 10lbs for 90 mins for a quarts....but with the bacon do I need to up that

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I do beans I only fill the jars 2/3 full with the actual beans, then add the liquid/sauce to leave the 1 inch headspace--seems to work just right. If there is bacon in the sauce, I put it into the jar first before the beans, dividing it evenly between the jars.

I'm at altitude so I do everything at 15 lbs pressure, but I just use the recommended processing time for beans (75 minutes for pints, 90 minutes for quarts) because one of the bean recipes in my canning book includes bacon and doesn't increase the processing time.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"I'm using try and dehydrating them " do to mean re hydrating them? I have done beans both ways . I think the overnight method of the soaking and then canning make beans too mushy. I like to quick soak and then fill
jars. which ever you do you will just need to make sure you have enough headspace .

that sounds like a really good recipe .

G

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
"I'm using try and dehydrating them " do to mean re hydrating them? I have done beans both ways . I think the overnight method of the soaking and then canning make beans too mushy. I like to quick soak and then fill
jars. which ever you do you will just need to make sure you have enough headspace .

that sounds like a really good recipe .

G
Ha! Yes, no need to dehydrate dry beans! Yes, I mean dehydrating them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would adjust the recipe to replace the canned beans with soaked-overnight dry beans, but a bit less, of course, as they will expand (only slightly if soaked a full 24 hours.) Adjust the time if needed to accommodate the bacon.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will do some reading in my canning books and will post the final time/pressure/size that I settle on.....hopefully some pics too :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
A hint when doing this type of recipe.....reserve the bacon (don't stir it into the mixture in advance) and divide it among the jars first, or you will likely end up with some jars without any. I do this with the salt pork when I can Boston Baked beans. It works better.

You can choose not to cook the bacon in advance, especially if it is "good" bacon. The grease will rise to the top of the jars and congeal, but just heat it up to serve and stir the grease back into the beans.

Water will be absorbed by the beans but none will evaporate during cooking, so expect that you might have to make some notes on your recipe for the next effort. The first time they may come out too dry or too juicy for your taste.

Any which way you do it, I'm sure they will be delicious!