Can you actually eat crow?

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This may be taking frugality a little to far. But I have noticed an abundance of the black buggers and wondered if anyone who enjoys hunting their own meat has ever done this as a regular part of their diet.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
kristenm1975 said:
This may be taking frugality a little to far. But I have noticed an abundance of the black buggers and wondered if anyone who enjoys hunting their own meat has ever done this as a regular part of their diet.
They used to be consumed plenty.
May not mean much, but Laura Ingalls recalls that they the summer the crows ate all their crops, they ate as many crows as they could. It should taste similiar to chicken.

BUT! Please check your hunting Regs first. Pretty much every animal falls under some sort of rules.
And also check to find out what firearm you may shoot in your specific area.
A community down the road from us, very rural though it may be, does not allow even a bow and arrow to be shot within 1,000 feet of any structure, never mind firearms.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
They are incredibly smart birds, so not that easy to hunt. A nearby town has such difficult time with crows in the winter, so hunting them in our neck of the woods is quite popluar. They hang out in groups (don't know the proper word for it.) there are a few scouts who go out to look forfood, grain or carrion, and predators also. If all is well the flock moves in and they settle in for a while. If you come near, the scout will send out a call and the rest will be on alert to take off if needed.They are very sensitive to movement and smell. IF you have a gun, they can smell the gun powder. They can smell you. They are apparently much more difficult to hunt than deer, etc. Of course, I have never hunted them. I just heard all this from a local corw hunter and was fascinated about how smart they really were.

But yes, people do eat them. me? I have not.

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Laura Ingalls was the first thing that popped into my mind too. I say go for it!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
A group of crows is called a "murder" isn't it?

We have a bunch of crows (or ravens?) here too. They love to aggravate my domesticated yard birds. I know they can be brutal, but I still like them hanging around b/c they are crafty and fun to watch.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
In defense of crows, they do help scare off hawks which is nice if you raise chickens.

My dad grew up during the depression in a large family. He tells a story about fixing up a trap with a board propped on a stick with a string attached so they could kill snow birds to eat. Broke my heart to hear him tell that both for the snow birds and for his poverty and hunger.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back in the 60s crow hunting was very popular where I'm from. It takes about ten of them to make a meal for two. I think the first time I ever saw a rotisserie on a grill was back then and it was full of crows. A very few people around here still hunt them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crows are very smart, but not quite as much as ravens. Ravens can actually problem-solve! And yes, it's called a "murder of crows"

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ate pigeon in France. It was fine. It tasted more like goose than chicken- like a gamey sort of poultry. I'd eat crow on a lark (LOL) or if I just needed food. If you have another to kill them, like crop protection, I'd think it would be better to eat them rather than let them go to waste.

Crows aren't as smart as ravens, but still pretty smart. A friend was having mole problems in his garden, and started setting traps. He kept finding sticks in the trap (just a regular snap rat trap). Finally, one day he saw a couple of crows dropping sticks over his garden, and when a stick finally hit the trap just right, they flew in, took the trap bait, and helped themselves to his corn.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Four and twenty black birds baked in a pie. When the pie was opened they all began to fly.

Might be some truth to the nursery rhyme. I'd eat them if needed, pie is as good a way as any.