can you dehydrate using just a fan?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Much to my pleasant surprise, the apricot leather (see 'mushy mealy apricots' thread) took only about 3.5-4 hours to dry in the oven, and is now done. Woo hoo! (And quite tasty. Pureed and concentrated, there's quite sufficient apricot flavor. Unfortunately the kids like it a lot so I guess I won't get much myself :p)

I'm wondering though... probably this is a stupid thought, but do you know whether it's possible to dehydrate a thin concentrated puree into leather, or dry very thin sliced fruit, just by putting 'em on a wire rack with a fan blowing right at 'em?

Wondering b/c it wouldn't heat up the house, which is plenty hot enough already now that summer has finally arrived here. (I do have salvaged parts to build a solar dehydrator 'someday' but it isn't going to happen this year)

[BTW, in other news I have a local beekeeper coming out tomorrow morning to look at my bees, confirm that they ARE honeybees, and HOPEFULLY turn out to be willing to remove them. <crossed fingers and toes>]

Pat

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on the climate. If you are in a humid climate it may not work as well, but I don't see why it woudn't work at all. You could always try it and find out, but it would probably take a lot longer.