Can you grow BOSS from BOSS?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've had a lot of volunteers sprout from birdfeeder spillage -- I do not think wild birds are as efficient in vacuuming up the last seed as bored chickens are :) -- but they've always had teeny small flower heads with very little seed production. Of course this was not in heavily-fertilized-and-weeded garden conditions so it is certainly possible they might do better if you were intentionally planting and growing them.

Pat

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I used to feed BOSS to my horses- good fiber and fat! Unfortunately, horses aren't very efficient chewers and I had many many volunteers sprouted in the pasture. I didn't plant them- they sprouted in the manure they came out in :lol:
Here they are early in the year- I closed off that pasture so the horses didn't eat them down just to see what they would do.

I got a fair number of big seed heads- I let the birds have most of them. It was a great year for birds!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is gorgeous! I kept expecting that to happen here.

In a previous house, I planted a sunflower forest one year. It was really cool! We just stuck them in the ground and they popped up all over and returned the next year too. That is why I thought there must be something wrong with these seeds. Perhaps this brand heat treats it or maybe my chickens are just GIANT pigs and got every one, I dunno. :hu

Latest posts