Can you help ? What is Jicama?

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Saw this in a recipe ,can you tell us what it might be down-under?......................T.O.R........................

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's called yam bean there. I copied and pasted this for you from Wisegeek. Jicama is a crispy, sweet, edible root that resembles a turnip in physical appearance, although the plants are not related. Jicama has been cultivated in South America for centuries, and the vegetable is quite popular in Mexican cuisine. Jicama has a unique flavor that lends itself well to salads, salsas, and vegetable platters. The roots can sometimes grow to be quite large, although when they exceed the size of two fists, they begin to convert the sugars that give jicama its sweet flavor into starches, making the root somewhat woody to the taste.

Jicama is actually a legume, and it grows on vines that may reach 20 feet (six meters) in length. The vines tend to hug the ground, terminating in tubers that may grow up to 50 pounds (22 kilograms) in size, although the majority of jicama roots sent to market are approximately three to four pounds (1.3-2 kilograms) in weight. Before eating, the coarse brown outer layer of the jicama should be peeled to reveal the white inside.

When choosing jicama at the store, look for medium sized, firm tubers with dry roots. Do not purchase jicama that has wet or soft spots, which may indicate rot, and don't be drawn to overlarge examples of the tuber, because they may not be as flavorful. Jicama will keep under refrigeration for up to two weeks.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
P.S they are delicious ;) They are readily available in the US.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's a freaky potato! :lol: Well....that's what DD called it. We didn't like them. :hu

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use them as a chip replacement since I don't eat grains or corn. Thin sliced jicama in queso dip is AWESOME! It also makes a good tostada shell or a crispy alternative to bread. Jicama is da bomb!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I use them as a chip replacement since I don't eat grains or corn. Thin sliced jicama in queso dip is AWESOME! It also makes a good tostada shell or a crispy alternative to bread. Jicama is da bomb!
Ditto! I have loved it since I was a kid!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I also used to love eating raw potatoes. Jicama tastes better than that, but the texture is similar. That may explain why I had no problem making them a regular item around here. Friends of mine think its nasty and I don't get it :p

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We thought it was like a really crisp potato, too.
I've picked up a couple from the store before, but it's nothing I keep around here. I can't even remember what dish I used it in.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Wifezilla, Do you roast them for chips or eat them raw because they are crisp?