Can you identify this bush?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After doing a google search, I determined that there are many different trees/shrubs called choke cherry... most likely dependent on what area of the country they are grown in. We had a whole "wild" hedge of them where I grew up. They grew in a long pannicle. Super bitter. We never did anything with them, but I've heard of them being used for jelly. Maybe even wine.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Definitely not pokeberry. Had those everywhere and the goats have taken care of them by eating young leaves. :)
BUT...at that site I spotted another plant and working thru a lot it appears that this "may" be ALONG THE LINE of something in the family of Araliaceae….American Spikenard, Aralia rocaece(SP) or something like that. So, ginsing is in the same aralia party. Wild sasparilla, another. Nothing is perfect for this plant I see BUT, this is the closest grouping I have found.

Tomorrow I will better inspect the stems & leaves to see if it matches up with some of the things in these threads I have gone to. It's just a thing that has me wanting to know, now that it hasn't been easy. :lol: Too many relatives out there for this.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aralia Spinosa. Not good for anything human. :D At least that is done for me. I can be at ease.:old

BUT the birds should be well fed as there are thousands of these berries out there!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not worth the time now. Certain this is what it is, pics, and all are spot on. It is more than plentiful and bugged me to know what it was. A berry -- ya know :D -- ain't no good for nothing. Spikey thorns on it, too. Commonly called "the devils walking stick"...fits!! It's not on my farm, just along all the roads nearby. :eek: very showy when it blooms.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We always called those "sarvice berries" (hillbilly lingo)but others call them serviceberries...the bears and birds love them. Not sure if that's what they truly are but that's what we've always known them as.

https://www.thespruce.com/nine-species-serviceberry-trees-and-shrubs-3269674
I wonder how they taste... Wait... Are they edible? they sure look delicious. they look like a smaller version of blueberries. Well... If bears like them I bet they're edible.