1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Can you identify this bush?

Discussion in 'Natural Remedies' started by Mini Horses, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Sep 8, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

After doing a google search, I determined that there are many different trees/shrubs called choke cherry... most likely dependent on what area of the country they are grown in. We had a whole "wild" hedge of them where I grew up. They grew in a long pannicle. Super bitter. We never did anything with them, but I've heard of them being used for jelly. Maybe even wine.

2. Sep 8, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. Sep 9, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Definitely not pokeberry. Had those everywhere and the goats have taken care of them by eating young leaves. :)
    BUT...at that site I spotted another plant and working thru a lot it appears that this "may" be ALONG THE LINE of something in the family of Araliaceaeā€¦.American Spikenard, Aralia rocaece(SP) or something like that. So, ginsing is in the same aralia party. Wild sasparilla, another. Nothing is perfect for this plant I see BUT, this is the closest grouping I have found.

Tomorrow I will better inspect the stems & leaves to see if it matches up with some of the things in these threads I have gone to. It's just a thing that has me wanting to know, now that it hasn't been easy. :lol: Too many relatives out there for this.

4. Sep 9, 2019
    Mini Horses

Aralia Spinosa. Not good for anything human. :D At least that is done for me. I can be at ease.:old

BUT the birds should be well fed as there are thousands of these berries out there!!!

Lazy Gardener likes this.
  5. Sep 9, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Take some of the leaves and berries to your county ag extension office.

6. Sep 9, 2019
    Mini Horses

Not worth the time now. Certain this is what it is, pics, and all are spot on. It is more than plentiful and bugged me to know what it was. A berry -- ya know :D -- ain't no good for nothing. Spikey thorns on it, too. Commonly called "the devils walking stick"...fits!! It's not on my farm, just along all the roads nearby. :eek: very showy when it blooms.