Can you live without paper towels?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I don't see the point in paper towels when you can use a wash cloth or your shirt. ;)
My dad HAS TO have them in the house. I don't use them though.

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to this forum but I'm gonna put my two cents in. The wife and have decided that living frugally is a must but we are finding that there are a few non-negotiable rules that will have to be observed at all times. So far for me, high quality toilet tissue is a must. For her no hanging of her undies outside on the clothesline. As for paper towels, we could and should live with out them because we buy a 6 roll bag once per week. Over $300 per year there!

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think we could survive pretty well without paper towels - save for the fella (it is always those menfolk!). He's a mechanic and welder, and goes through a lot on his greasy hands.

I use 'em for cleaning the bathroom too- but in the kitchen I just use tea towels. I go through loads :)

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Definitely - did so for many many years, until I got married recently.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I COULD live without them. But won't be giving them up entirely in the near future. We use a six pack over the course of about 3 or 4 months. I'm noticing that as my kids get older I use a whole lot less of that type of stuff.

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We have paper towels, but don't use them. UnLESS, the cat or dog trows up! lol :ep

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't have paper towels in the house and haven't bought them in months.... not to mention, the last time I did buy them, they lasted forever. so, to answer your question, yes, I could live without paper towels. :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I use rags for cleaning- especially love old socks (natural scrub mittens.) But for the life of me I can't think about putting some things into the washing machine. Dog deposits of one kind or the other for one. Also I don't like to run fat into the septic system so I use paper towels for draining bacon or such. But for drying hands- I have towels for that.
For someone who spends hours each day de-pooping various animal pens and covers outside, I sure am squeamish about stuff inside. I remember the whine that was forced out of me when the septic tank inspector (yes we have them,) wanted to lift the lid to show me something- I never looked.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I buy the VIVA brand, and they are really thick, like a 'shop towel'. One will do the trick for just about anything you need. I use them for grease catchers, drying, etc. But its just the DH and me, ...well, mostly me, and we use about a roll a month. But I think to some extent we could live without them.

Latest posts