Can you store grain in buckets?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My reading tells me that milled feed quickly starts oxidizing, and, even w/o visible signs of spoilage, has lost nutrient value within 6 weeks. This from Harvey Ussery's book the Small Scale Poultry Flock. Therefore, except for winter months, I take care to store only what will be used within 6 - 8 weeks of mill date. My feed store always has freshly milled feed available. But, I've found 3 month old feed sitting on shelves at TSC with egyptian meal moths flying around. Buyer beware. My feed is stored in metal or plastic cans, left in bags, in garage under house with pretty consistent temps.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep my feed in the bags, in metal cans under an awning. Must be in bags just in case of condensation. Had feed get moldy and couldn't see until it was low enough. Lost a couple birds to botulism but managed to nurse 4 others through it by tube feeding.

Not much other choice for where to put it. If we ever rebuild where the large fowl are kept, I'm putting in a feed room. No sack of feed lasts longer than 6 weeks at any time. Usually they are gone in 4.

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Flour does not have a long storage life, even if stored under ideal conditions. The "conex" you describe will be subject to temp. fluctuation, which will increase condensation issues. Also, once a grain is milled, the nutrients in it immediately starts to oxidize. It doesn't take long for milled grain to "get rancid". Instead of storing flour, I suggest that you buy a good quality grain mill, and buy whole wheat berries. Those WILL store for a long time. I would package the wheat in 2 - 3# packages, using a vac seal or something similar. @Beekissed has had great luck storing wheat LONG TERM. Not sure the exact length of time, or how she stored it, but... I'm sure she will chime in here. BTW, I have not yet bought a grain mill. Definitely one of my "must do" projects.
I store flour in the cellar with success. but it is a constant 38 to 40degress F
I have tried plastic, glass wood and metal, lined with plastic liner. I find all work though i like the convenience of plastic as i can stack them...one bucket for each type. I also strategically place sprigs of dried herbs as extra precautio to repel insects & rodents. Though i never have had any (probably due to cold temps) I only do this as i also have not invested in a grain mill yet.