Canadian Chickens

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Three pair of Canadian Chickens snuck in and are nesting on the banks of the pond. So far, it's all good... The geese and wife's ducks are getting a long. I suspect once those chicken eggs hatch though, it'll be a different story. My grand daughters think it's the coolest thing to have wild geese in the pond. They like to watch them and comment how pretty they are, so I haven't run them out of there yet. But all that honking is starting to get a little annoying.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goose poop sucks. I taught the dogs to chase them away from the pond edge near the grass I mow. I don't care if they nest farther out on my property. Plenty of shoreline on that huge pond.

I don't need bird flu or any of the other avian diseases that have come through anywhere near my chickens. Last disease outbreak around here was because of waterfowl. It was a 2 mile radius for flock depopulations if I remember correctly. Several people in the chicken group had their birds killed because it showed up down the road.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Three pair of Canadian Chickens snuck in and are nesting on the banks of the pond. So far, it's all good... The geese and wife's ducks are getting a long. I suspect once those chicken eggs hatch though, it'll be a different story. My grand daughters think it's the coolest thing to have wild geese in the pond. They like to watch them and comment how pretty they are, so I haven't run them out of there yet. But all that honking is starting to get a little annoying.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Cobra chicken infestation has begun. Start carrying a sturdy stick. Lolol

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We live in Sandhill Crane territory. They visit nearby farmers' fields. One year we walked the creek that runs through the back of our property, and came to the place where the creek turns into a shallow lake where the cranes nest. It was an awesome experience.
They are incredible.

And HUGE.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We live in Sandhill Crane territory. They visit nearby farmers' fields. One year we walked the creek that runs through the back of our property, and came to the place where the creek turns into a shallow lake where the cranes nest. It was an awesome experience.
Have to add, that this is rugged wilderness, not a park, no paths, very difficult walking/hiking. We had our waders on.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
10 miles where I used to live, in Lindale, was a flock of Canadian geese that stayed year around. The location is a 2,000 acre ranch, with several big lakes. There is also a par of eagles that live on one of those lakes.

A couple of years ago, a pair took over a cattle stock pond not far from the place in Lindale, and raised their young. Kinda neat.

Latest posts